Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Difference in 2WD and 4WD 4 speed?

Umm...I think they were F100s back then or am I misunderstanding what you are refering to with "a 150 4X4"?

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
Am i right in my remembering that the 360/390 share a bellhousing pattern as do the 429/460 but they all do not ahve the same one right?

Fellro

Staff member
352/360/390/428 all share the same bell. Not entirely sure, but the 361 and 391 FT may use the same bell, found in medium duty trucks.
I stand corrected on the 100...

Last edited:

havi

third member
390 same bell as 360, IE: FE engine series. Most all F250 4x4 hi-boys had FE's and 4 speeds. Find one! Get the bellhousing and shifter linkage, clutch Z-bar, etc..., then find a later 70's F150 with 4 speed and 205 married case. Then you can bolt the 4 speed to your FE bell, and everything will line up in your truck. You'll need FE motor towers in the proper location, though. You want to be sure you can bolt the clutch mounting piece on top of the frame in it's proper location, and you want to bolt the 205 tcase rubber mount with L-brackets to the side of the frame in it's proper location as well. Everything should line up. 2wd 4 speeds have a square bolt pattern where the tcase adapter or tailhousing mounts....this can be of varying lengths. Best bet is to get the 4x4 version of the 4 speed which'll have the correct tail shaft and spline count. The early 70's F100's 4x4's had a Dana tcase and actually used a 2wd version of the 4 speed, so they won't bolt up to your np205. Any further questions just ask.

Ok, I typed all that and then I read you want to put it in your 1991 F150? (nevermind the stuff bolting to the newer than 1979 frame, as they are wider and thus won't touch). http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/588493-390-fe-into-1985-f-150-pics.html

In the end, you want the 390 and FE bell, and 4x4 version of 4 speed with married tcase and tcase adapter housing. Going divorced in a 1991 truck would be most likely impossible.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts