Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

1972 Ford F100 302 column to floor shift conversion

Mr.Steven

1972 F100 302 2WD
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and have just purchased a '72 F100. I need a little insight on an issue I've got with the shifter linkage and the clutch. The little part that pushes on the clutch fork is hanging down and the clutch pedal has no spring forcing it back even if that peice is pusing on the fork. The clutch also does not disengage.

The shifter linkage is all screwed up, anyone know where to find a new one for cheap?

Thanks, Steve

I just want to welcome you to the forum. :wavey:

There are a really good group of people around here. We even have quite a few ford techs on board.

Honestly, I have no idea how the linkage works on yours. I don't even quite understand how mine works. Looks like a mess to me under there.

There are not a lot of the more knowledgeable people on right now (pretty late), but I am sure someone will try to help tomorrow.

Oh...is there some way you can get pictures of the issue? That might help them as well.

Welcome to FTF.

Since I don't have my own exploded views for the 61-72 yet I had to go to another site for the info you need.

clutchbrake_pedals02.jpg

Hope you stick around here as I will eventually have info from 1948- 2003

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Dennis, post the following illustration from the '73/79 catalog, it's the same illustration shown in the 1964/72 catalog.

Illustration section 30 / page 3.

Note the following parts just above the steering gear box, #'s 7302 & 7303. These are the manual control selector levers where the shift rods from the tranny attach.

In each of these levers you will see one each 7341, there's actually two parts in each of these levers, a bushing and insulator, which comes in a kit.

So, the OP prolly needs C5TZ7343A .. Selector Lever Bushing Kit, which fits 1965/79 3 speed M/T's.

When these bushings and insulators either wear or break apart, the shift lever hangs up in gear.

The kit has 2 each bushings and insulators, so one kit does it all.

The kit is still available from Ford. :)

1) C5TZ7343A = MSRP: $16.32 / FTFpartsguy.com price: $11.75

There's prolly little wrong with the OP's tranny & clutch. I can find the clutch adjustment rod (#7521), which attaches from the equalizer bar, then the end of it fits into a dimple on the clutch fork. This rod is adjustable, so this is how the clutch is adjusted.

And...ALL the plastic bushings shown in that illustration are still available from Ford.

Two C0AZ7526B shown on the clutch rod from the clutch pedal bellcrank under the dash to the equalizer (7528) bar.

Two C1AA7543A bushings for the equalizer bar itself, and there's also two felt washers (358979S) and two snap rings (97474S) shown, those are also still available from Ford.

Last edited:
Bill, he wants to swap to floor shifter.

Perhaps he was reply soon?

I posted the clutch pedal assembly for him

Ford Truck Articles