Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Been smelling cooking coolant

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
For the last month i been smelling coolant cooking like it was leaking around the engine somewhere... but could never find where the leak was... could only smell it when the truck had been ran and smelled like the leak was somewhere on the passenger side or whenever i walked past the front of the truck... but yet never could i find the source of the smell...

today i was working under the truck without running it.. (was installing a hose clamp a friend sent me for the lower radiator hose.. early 6.0's didnt get a clamp to keep the hose off the drag link but later models did).. i happen to look up and see the drag link and crank pulley wet with coolant colored water... but still wasnt sure if it was the intake donut or the water pump...

luckily dad had bought a bore scope camera... couldnt find the source at the donut.. went underneath and fished the probe up around the pulleys and low and behold a very wet waterpump pulley... so looks like ill be changing the water pump now...

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Good luck. I just had the same problem on a not ford. Water pump gasket was bad, but it was boiling off before it hit the ground. Didn't find it until I replaced the timing belt.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
right now im trying to decide if i want to do the 7.3 old school mechanical fan clutch conversion or if i want to just stay with the 6.0 electronic fan clutch...

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
go electric, you will be happy. You can get a set of fans and a controller for the same amount as the clutch fan your talking about

Attachments

• 005.JPG
  • 019.JPG

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
others i had talked to that did the fully electric fan swap on the 6.0's said they had over heating issues as they didnt move enough air to cool it off...

Lol......this post reminds me when I first started working at the parks!

My co-worker took me for a ride to show me around at all the parks an I
was smelling something funny ,it was that distinctive smell like hot anti-freeze ,
I thought maybe the heater core was leaking ,well I told him about it an we
searched every where an didn't find no leaks ,LOL.....come to find out ,it was
his dang cappuccino that smelled like the anti-freeze!....'smiliedoh'

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
maybe he was drinking anti-freeze... lol

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
waterpumps currently sitting in Phoenix AZ... says it wont be delivered till Wed...

Ford Truck Articles