Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New GM SUVs, trucks, and singing the GM blues

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Must really suck spending all that money on a new SUV, only to buy into a problem that there looks to be no assured fix for.....

source:http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...suvs-and-no-one-seems-to-have-a-solution.html

Cliff notes:

"Online forums and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) complaints database are flooded with posts alleging that GM’s full-size SUVs, including the Chevy Tahoe, CadillacSuburban, GMC Yukon and Chevrolet Escalade, all exhibit the same off-putting traits: unexplainable wind buffeting and vibration. Many of the complaints allege that these problems also affect the Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra."

"And it’s not just an annoying sound – the defect seems to be causing some health issues.“Pressure, sound and sensation at low to mid range speeds. Creating headache, dizziness and strain,” reads one complaint on the NHTSA database ( NHTSA ID Number: 10701714)."

"A larger issue was relayed by engineer to service manager at dealership. ......According to [the] engineer, GM is keeping on eye on how many units they have to buy back or trade for. If the number is low enough, they will not make any changes to design."

^^^ IMO, attitude = we learned back in 2009 that our company is on the list of too big to fail, so we don't really care anymore.

There is quite a bit to this story, but there is a fix for the problem. Make the problem someone elses problem. Ford for example, sells SUV's and pickups. have a look. :D

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
As much time as they spend in wind tunnels these days... You'd think they would notice!!!!

Ryan

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
As much time as they spend in wind tunnels these days... You'd think they would notice!!!!

Ryan

not necessarily.. usually its just a model in the tunnel checking air flow over the vehicle.. prolly no one ever actually sits in the vehicle too often to see how it fairs for noise.. also supposedly the newer trucks have "noise canceling" speakers inside to contradict engine and other externally generated noise.. ive often wondered the effects this could cause as not everyone's hearing is the same. Some could be actually hearing this "white noise" being generated from those small speakers and thinking its something else.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
In these parts of the woods, you can buy a brand new *all star* edition Silverado 4x4, which will be nicely equipped for.....and I just saw the add last night and the price is $2,000 LOWER than a month ago......current price is $32,998. Price is falling, like a Chevy, like a rock.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I rode in the passenger front seat of one the other day, the back right window was down, the air was buffeting so bad, we all ended up with a headache.
The owner's answer was that's what A/C is for, no need to wind down the window.

No way I would own a pick up that I can't ride with the windows down

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
GM...Professional Grade...

That is all.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Again Ryan..."professional grade"....it is obviously nothing to do with them and must simply be driver perception...along the lines of ignition switches maybe...:wasntme:

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
I rode in the passenger front seat of one the other day, the back right window was down, the air was buffeting so bad, we all ended up with a headache.
The owner's answer was that's what A/C is for, no need to wind down the window.

No way I would own a pick up that I can't ride with the windows down

My '05 does it too. Doesn't matter which back window it is. I have to crack the front window to alleviate the issue...

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I accidentally rolled the back windows down first in the 2010 Taurus and finished the job before moving up to the front windows. The buffeting was INTENSE

Ryan

Ford Truck Articles