Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

old exhaust removal?

whats the easiest/best way to get the old passenger exhaust off the manifold without breaking the studs so i can put my new exhaust in.

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Tyler In all Honesty a 30+ yr old stud is probably going to break off....But you can try soaking with PB Blaster...let it sit for a while...then take a 1/2 drive 6 point socket and extension and give it a few sharp blows with a heavy hammer then hope for the best.....I do know of another way...but i do have a conscience and due to the inexperienced that may read this.. ill keep it to myself.

Can you pm me the other way? If not its fine but I was really hoping to eat them out without breaking them so that I could just replace them with bolts

Fellro

Staff member
The good thing with Fords is that they did start with a larger stud. However, it depends how eaten away the stud is as to how well they will survive. Heat is one way, but you have to be attentive to where else the heat will go. I find that using an impact has a higher success rate than using a breaker bar likely due to the shaking effect instead of a steady pull.

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
A few times my brother and I would cut off the heads of the stud so we could pry the manifold off and then soak the stud more with PB blaster, use heat and then a vice grip to rock the studs back and forth taking our time to get them out. Many times the studs break off only leaving a little bit of stud left or flush with th head. At least if you grind the head of the stud off first than you are left with more stud to use a vice grip.

Fellro

Staff member
I am wondering if we are on the same page... I am thinking the studs that hold the exhaust pipe at the flange, and I believe you are thinking the bolts going through the manifold into the head...

the bolts from the exhaust into the manifold not the manifold to the head. i have an exhaust system to put on my truck but i didn't wanna break the studs off in the manifold and then end up having to take the manifold off to fix it

seem to have gotten this stuck for awhile. been on there a few days now haha

Attachments

• IMG_0111.JPG
well i took the bottom one of it came off nicely. but the top one was almost off then snapped :/ i was an idiot and should have tightened it back up hit it with a battery terminal cleaner or something and some oil and then taken it off. there is about half an inch stick out of the manifold still. i can't put in the new exhaust anyway unless i drop the transfer case crossmember or cut it up and weld it once its in...

burnt myself last september on that exhaust will never go near it again without gloves.

Fellro

Staff member
Happens all the time. Same answer, just tap it to rock it, or a side smack usually works.

Fellro

Staff member
i couldn't put the new exhaust in so i put the old one back in with a new gasket but only the bottom stud is holding it on.

i designed an exhaust for it and everything. but waiting for the moeny to do it. going from headers to an x pipe into two magnaflow mufflers into duals out of each muffler so i will have 4 tips. should sound nice. im just goingto try and sell the exhaust i have now. its brand new and just sitting.

I see from your gallery you have an FE engine [360/390?] The only sure way to get them out with out breaking them is remove the engine high enough to get at the studs , use a torch to heat them up a few times then use an air chisel. They should back right out. I have done this many times with my 460s with good results. Its a pain to lift the engine but if you break the studs you will have to do that any ways to "tap & drill" them out.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts