Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trucks been sitting

So here we are... I hooked that black ground up to the starter bolt.. the dang thing made that engine crank like back then!! Omg im impressed. Going to the store in the morning and changing all the cables. I let it warm up a bit just to see if anything is leaking. Nothing i can see yet. I do know i have to figure something out bout the tank. Im using an old spray pest pumo right now for the fuel.
Noticed to that the heater blows on only high. But i got so much to do! Im glad to be on a site like this. The cummins forum everyone is rude....search this or that. But u guys have been helpful

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Glad she started.
The reostat is bad for the heater. Little box with all the wires coming out on heat box under hood under fan. Easy fix, hard to get to

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Get this one, it's got the harness repair with it.
Usually the wires are crapp too
25fdccfe2d9a879f9f01054ca98233f8.jpg

On my list. But as of now, the baby needs an oil change, definitely a coolant flush. The engine got warm. My temp gauge doesnt work. I dont remember if it ever did to be honest.

The only issue i still have is the starter staying engaged. Hopefully my new solenoid will be here within a few more days. Was supposed to be here yesterday.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Starter staying engaged is solenoid
Temp gage if all the way to left is sending unit. Thats the 1 wire sender in the back of the head passenger side. Just bought 1 for mu 90. $12 from rock auto
You might need this
0664c07c662f1cd3749a06d362dc36d8.jpg

Dude u are awesome!! Yeah. Kinda figured it was the solenoid once i hit it and the starter disengaged. Stupid cheapo solenoids.

Well considering the stupid cheapo solenoid i got, i have to replace it. Luckily i did find a motorcraft solenoid. I just got it today so ill try it out Saturday and see if it still stays engaged. Then, ill move on to the oil change, coolant flush, and even that coolant sensor.
I did notice when i turned the truck on, i could feel rust or something on the clutch plate i guess. I didn't move the truck but i wanted to try and get the gears to move. But definitely will be replacing transmission fluid also. Ill be honest, my papa gave me this truck when i was 15, im 28 now. It has never seen a transmission service, besides replacement of the clutch and fingers. Idk if the fluid was changed then or not. I know my papa never had it done. The Mexican guy who used to change my papas oio barely could drive a 3speed.
So thats on the list a little further away. Glad u guys actually reply and are helpful on this site. The cummins forum is mean and barely even can reply. They always say, use the search bar. But nothing really ever shows up. I do try and research alot of this with alldata, but somethings that should be simple are not on that and honestly its easier to ask and get replies instead of getting a headache from google.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Rule of thumb on a ford, if the manual trans has a cast iron case, use gear oil. If it has a aluminum case use atf. Most ATF is mercon V anymore, it has a better lube property, and anti-foam

Most of the time people on forums are poopy like that, they don't have the answer, and want to be important

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Thats great

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
Ask away, it may take a little bit for someone to get back with you, but we will.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Rule of thumb on a ford, if the manual trans has a cast iron case, use gear oil. If it has a aluminum case use atf. Most ATF is mercon V anymore, it has a better lube property, and anti-foam

Most of the time people on forums are poopy like that, they don't have the answer, and want to be important

Hehe!

Fellro

Staff member
Glad u guys actually reply and are helpful on this site. The cummins forum is mean and barely even can reply. They always say, use the search bar. But nothing really ever shows up. I do try and research alot of this with alldata, but somethings that should be simple are not on that and honestly its easier to ask and get replies instead of getting a headache from google.

Our intent is to be civil and helpful as we can. It may take a little while to respond sometimes as we all pretty much have full time + jobs, so not always available.

Regarding searches, it seems the search engines any more are pretty loosely filtered as they wander off the request pretty damn fast anymore.

Hey guys sorry u haven't been on. Been working like a slave worker.
So i haven't had much time with the old ford this weekend. Got bills and stuff i need to pay up on.
Anyways, i did happen to get out there friday and set me up a good gas can. The new solenoid works like a charm. Starts up every time and the starter disengages when i let off the key( and move the key back a little because its always never sprung back like its supposed to)
Fuel pumps really well once its going. It takes a bit to kinda pump threw the setup(using clear hose to see fuel.)
My next step is to order the coolant sensor or atleast verify mine is working; ill still end up buying a new one i bet. Then, ill do a coolant flush. Need to look at ALLDATA and see whats required. Prolly will just use good old green.
Once i see that went well, gonna see about taking the tank off and giving her a good cleaning. Going to try not to ruin the fuel sender in tank because idk if they have those anymore.
Once the tank is clean, im gonna run new hoses from tank to pump. Maybe metal, but doubtful.
Atleast then i can setup a good vantage point and make sure this engine still has enough good energy for weekend drives around town.
A LONG TIME AGO when i was a kid, my papa had this truck and had some guy to run a compression test on it. I dont remember word for word what my papa said, but the guy apparently said either cylinder 5or6 was a bit low on compression. Idk how hard it would be to fix that because im not completely knowledgeable about breaking down engines.
But every since i was 14(28yrs old now) i used to drive it every where. It was my first "car". What are the chances it really had low compression? Any advice on that? Dont wanna continue fixing this engine up unless itll last even longer. Rather spend my money on a crate engine and be okay spending 2k. But im trying to keep the sentimentals with the truck if that makes sense.
Anyways, i appreciate u guys alot. I feel like i got some buddies here.
9506b367799ed311b3a349dc7a805f48.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Glad your making progress
As far as the compression. Is it missing?
Vibrating?
Sometimes a bad compression test only proves there is carbon on a valve or 2 and they aren't sealing.
My 89 f 350 4.9 went 500,000 miles without a rebuild, and then just needed a good freshening up
When you get closer to that part of the project we will guide you.

Couple pictures of my 4.9 I just did last summer
c7f64211da12f29d688c49e3659fd7a7.jpg
c6ab655d76283ef18fa55e1c6652df78.jpg
0b9603ee0207b90e08fda4e9538222f9.jpg
9d85b9ed5c0059168010e9165b69515a.jpg
fa99f1e86c39a0c7a053cb9558349e37.jpg

How tough of a project is that? If it comes down to it, ill probably have a shop do it. I dont have special tools and stuff to make that happen. (dial indicators for example) or engine hoist haha.
As far as missing, honestly i cant tell. Back when i used to drive it, i changes all plugs, distributor cap and rotor. Idk the reason why. I think its cause the wires looked old. I do remember something like a faint miss but , since i have ran the engine here lately, its hard to tell honestly. Maybe because i havent had it running long enough to really get hot.
Right now it feels smooth. Once i get the fueling right, ill know more. Right now, its a little shaky because im sure when the gas can is on there, the hose doesnt sit deep enough in it and slips out. But other than that, she runs pretty smooth from i can tell from Friday

Also, im wanting to get rid of the smog pump. Like i need it GONE. Idk how to begin to do that considering I prolly need delete plates and a different belt.. also this truck uses like 3-4 belts. V belts i believe.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts