Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Original ‘79 tires?

I’m looking for the tires that were stock on my 1979 f100. It doesn’t have power steering and someone suggested it would be less of a beast to drive if I went back to stock skinny tires, rather than the radials I’ve got on there now.

Any thoughts on the difference in steering with old school tires? It seriously is a bull at low speeds

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
I’m looking for the tires that were stock on my 1979 f100. It doesn’t have power steering and someone suggested it would be less of a beast to drive if I went back to stock skinny tires, rather than the radials I’ve got on there now.

Any thoughts on the difference in steering with old school tires? It seriously is a bull at low speeds

The original size tires for your truck were the old L-78 15’s
Radial tires don’t affect your steering, but width and air pressure sure do. So going back to stock, the closest size tire to the old are the 235 75R 15.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
They don't call it armstrong steering for nothing. But give Coker Tire a look, I know they have some retro skinnies that look like OEM tires

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The original size tires for your truck were the old L-78 15’s
Radial tires don’t affect your steering, but width and air pressure sure do. So going back to stock, the closest size tire to the old are the 235 75R 15.

I concur. My 79 F150, new, came with L-78's, and were replaced with 235 75 15. I had power steering, though.

Ford Truck Articles