Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

weird spark knock, HELP!!!!!

ok i got a 1996 4.9L when i first start the truck, the spark knock starts right away. then when i start to drive it, it gets really bad. if i put it to the floor, it goes away until i shut it of and re start it! I had the check engine light checked and they said it was lean, bank 1, and bank 2. I hope someone can help me out.

new cap,
new wires,
plugs,
cats,
new coil,
egr

timing could be advanced too much possibly.

73F100Shortbed

That's how we roll!
NJ
When you get codes for bank 1 and 2 lean, which is usually p0171 and p0174 that is a sign of a vacuum leak usually like Randy suggested. Check your vacuum lines, check where the air filter connects to the throttle body. Also you can spray around the intake to check for leaks, etc.

update: the weird spark knock turns out to be not spark knock, but instead it sounded like maybe my torque converter. so I changed it, not a big deal because i had a new one when i got my trans rebuilt. well that was not it!!! so after i get the noise to get going, i take a tube a hold it against the motor, its right below the oil pan flange on the driver side back corner. Is this possibly a lifter going bad? it will go away after i reve the motor for a min then its gone until i start it back up? Any Ideas??????

blacksnapon

Staff member
Sounds like an oil pressure related concern. Put in a manual gauge to verify pressures.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts