Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Electric Window issues 1994 f150

I own a 1994 f150 single cab 2wd and i am having window problems. My window will go down but when i push the button to have it come back up it won't move unless i use my hands to pull the window up while pushing the button. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? It would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Gear Kit

I own a 1994 f150 single cab 2wd and i am having window problems. My window will go down but when i push the button to have it come back up it won't move unless i use my hands to pull the window up while pushing the button. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? It would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Hello and good evening.

I have an 87 so it will probably be "apples vs. oranges" but we will give it a go anyway.

You need a new Gear Kit for the Electric Motor(cheap at either Napa or O'Reilly) but a difficult to install as my big hands make it hard to reach the Motor but as I stated your 94 probably has more room.

Be careful when removing the door panel as the moulding on the top just where the window "disappears" has clips that hold it in place.

Also when replacing the door panel you should install some sheet metal screws with the bevel type washers as once you remove the door panel you may break(normal) a couple of the plastic fasteners.

Does it want to raise but jumps up and down a bit?

Do not BUY ANYTHING as you may discover something different while the Door Panel is off. "Always do what is free first!" a quote used by many.

Boon and good luck!

Postscript: I forgot to ask you what the temperature is overnight as freezing weather will cause the windows to stick. Also, the Gear Kit is specific to either the Driver's Side or the Passenger Side.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Gear kit is a good suggestion but before you go and buy that I'd check for the symptoms-- grinding sounds or skipping teeth. Like Mark asked -- do you see the window kind of stuttering when it tries to roll up? Or just stopped dead and not strange grinding noises?

Might just be that you need to clean and lubricants the lifting mechinsms. If none of that works, you've probably got a new window regulator in your future. Not SUPER expensive so don't sweat it too much. Rock Auto is a great source for parts like that.

Gear kit is a good suggestion but before you go and buy that I'd check for the symptoms-- grinding sounds or skipping teeth. Like Mark asked -- do you see the window kind of stuttering when it tries to roll up? Or just stopped dead and not strange grinding noises?

Might just be that you need to clean and lubricants the lifting mechinsms. If none of that works, you've probably got a new window regulator in your future. Not SUPER expensive so don't sweat it too much. Rock Auto is a great source for parts like that.

Hello and good morning Skandocious.

Great suggestions! What type of lubricant would you recommend and do we lubricate just the "hinge points" or the entire mechanism?

Thanks!

Boon

Fellro

Staff member
I recommend using spray Lithium grease, it doesn't gunk up real fast. The slider is where the lube needs to go. Many times the factory lube gets pretty thick over time and makes it hard to move. As Skan said, try that first, (after cleaning the old goo out with brake cleaner or such) and if it still runs slow, replace the motor/regulator.

I recommend using spray Lithium grease, it doesn't gunk up real fast. The slider is where the lube needs to go. Many times the factory lube gets pretty thick over time and makes it hard to move. As Skan said, try that first, (after cleaning the old goo out with brake cleaner or such) and if it still runs slow, replace the motor/regulator.

Hello and good morning.

When you say "slider" are you describing the exposed "tracks" in the door or internally?

Thanks!

Boon

blacksnapon

Staff member
First off, use a circuit tester to verify power and ground at each position on the switch. One position, the power and ground to the motor will be oriented one way, reverse positions on the switch, the power/grounds will reverse positions. A defective switch will cause those symptoms.

Fellro

Staff member
From what I got, it goes back up, but slow. A ground can cause it, but will be difficult to detect with a simple light.

The "slider" as I call it is simply the channel the regulator slides in to stabilize the window.

Watch Ampmeter.

From what I got, it goes back up, but slow. A ground can cause it, but will be difficult to detect with a simple light.

The "slider" as I call it is simply the channel the regulator slides in to stabilize the window.

Hello and good evening.

When I had to replace the driver's side motor there was a huge draw on the ampmeter, indicative of either a mechanical issue (perhaps lubrication that was mentioned) or simply a warning of motor failure.

Boon

Ford Truck Articles