Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Straight-up timing set for a 400

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Might be safer if you are doing outside!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Was going to do this job today, and tomorrow, since it is so warm, but decided to wait till later in the spring. Still working up the courage.........

Realistically...the toughest part of the job are as follows:

1) Not stripping out the bolt holes in the timing cover
2) Remembering what bolt length goes where...some go through the WP in to the block.
3) Getting the old timing set off...this is really the most frustrating...but as I've said before, pry bars and die hooks work wonders...and put some balls behind it, you won't break anything...except maybe your face if you're under the truck and drop a pry bar.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Realistically...the toughest part of the job are as follows:

1) Not stripping out the bolt holes in the timing cover
2) Remembering what bolt length goes where...some go through the WP in to the block.
3) Getting the old timing set off...this is really the most frustrating...but as I've said before, pry bars and die hooks work wonders...and put some balls behind it, you won't break anything...except maybe your face if you're under the truck and drop a pry bar.

Thanks, Ben. I learned this lesson on the 79 that I bought new. :headbang:

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Ask, and ye shall receive. I drove the truck for about an hour tonight, with speeds up to 65 mph, and at 32 deg ambient, the temp never got above 188 deg, which means the thermostat never even opened up.

This is more in line with what I would expect to see, given the size of the radiator I have on the truck(supercooling). Can't wait to see what happens this summer. I still plan on changing the timing set this spring, for a bigger grin. :D

DSCF2819.JPG

I changed the filter on the temp gauge light from red to green. The red light around the outside of the gauge was just too bright and distracting. The green filter gives off a nice glow, and the gauge is easier to read.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Started on this late this afternoon. Pulled the alternator, Power steering pump, radiator, grill, and water pump. Water passages still look really clean, (gun metal gray color). The back side of the water pump looked really clean also.
I also pulled the pulleys off. It is supposed to rain tomorrow, so I don't know if I can continue, since it is outside. All that's left is the harmonic dampener, and the water pump backing plate, and possibly the oil pan..

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Have you got the puller for the harmonic dampener, ?

That was gonna be my question as well. If not it won't come off...if you don't use the right puller, it'll pull the rubber right off. You can get them at rent-a-tool programs, or just buy one for like $25.

Also...no corrosion on the water pump side of the timing cover??? I've seen some that are damn near rusted through, others look brand spanking new. I assume that's an indicator of coolant mixes.

Unless your old timing set is ridiculously loose, you'll have to pull the pan to get screwdrivers/pry bars behind the gear/sprocket to get them off.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
Started on this late this afternoon. Pulled the alternator, Power steering pump, radiator, grill, and water pump. Water passages still look really clean, (gun metal gray color). The back side of the water pump looked really clean also.
I also pulled the pulleys off. It is supposed to rain tomorrow, so I don't know if I can continue, since it is outside. All that's left is the harmonic dampener, and the water pump backing plate, and possibly the oil pan..

it's happening! right on YelloThumbUp

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Have you got the puller for the harmonic dampener, ?

Yes. I bought one several years ago to replace the front seal on a '79.

That was gonna be my question as well. If not it won't come off...if you don't use the right puller, it'll pull the rubber right off. You can get them at rent-a-tool programs, or just buy one for like $25.

Also...no corrosion on the water pump side of the timing cover??? I've seen some that are damn near rusted through, others look brand spanking new. I assume that's an indicator of coolant mixes.

Unless your old timing set is ridiculously loose, you'll have to pull the pan to get screwdrivers/pry bars behind the gear/sprocket to get them off.

And, yes. I have the puller, and the water pump side of the backing plate was a beautiful gun metal gray color. I have the ability to send in glycol samples for a yearly analysis to check the integrity of the glycol solution. I'm thinking it was replaced when the engine was rebuilt in '06?.

Hopefully, I can wiggle the old timing set off without pulling the pan, since its only been on there 8 years, but you will probably prove me wrong, Ben.

it's happening! right on YelloThumbUp

No pictures, Roy. Sorry, I was trying to outrace a rainstorm last night.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hopefully, I can wiggle the old timing set off without pulling the pan, since its only been on there 8 years, but you will probably prove me wrong, Ben.

Well I hope not...I'd be willing to be wrong here...just know I've always had a helluva time getting the sprocket/gear to come off. Another thing to consider though for pulling the pan is any large debris that may fall in the pan. You can cover it up and be fine, but if you're missing any nylon teeth, guess where they are.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts