Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Key fob problem

Can't get the fobs to work properly. I do the 8 times off and on thing and everything works as it should (lock, unlocks etc.) then when I go to use it to unlock or lock---nothing.
Any ideas what's going on.

TIA
PaPa Alan

'02 F350 DRW 7.3L

blacksnapon

Staff member
if the locks cycle when the 8 times on-off is performed, it is going into the programming procedure. From there, do they cycle when pressing the remote buttons? If not, there will be a problem with the remotes.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
How are you exiting the program procedure? Heres what the book has to say.

Remote Transmitter Programming
NOTE: All remote transmitters must be programmed at the same time.

NOTE: Programming (or reprogramming) the remote transmitters into the vehicle security module can be accomplished using a diagnostic tool or by carrying out the following steps:

NOTE: Before programming the remote transmitters, the vehicle has to be electronically unlocked using the door lock control switch, keyless entry keypad or a remote transmitter. Prior to storing the first transmitter identification code (TIC) received, the module must erase TIC and rolling codes for all previously programmed remote transmitters. Up to four remote transmitters can programmed to the vehicle security module.

Turn the key from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds, ending in RUN. If the vehicle security module has successfully entered the program mode, it will lock and unlock all the doors.
Press any button on a remote transmitter and the doors will lock then unlock to confirm that each remote transmitter has been programmed.
If the door locks do not respond for any remote transmitter, wait for several seconds and press the button again. Repeat Step 2 for each additional remote transmitter (up to four).
To exit the TIC programming mode one of the following must occur: the key is turned to the OFF position; 20 seconds has elapsed since entering programming or the receipt of a TIC; or 4 TICs have been programmed to the receiver. Exiting is acknowledged by locking and unlocking the vehicle if at least one TIC has successfully programmed to the vehicle security module.

Normally I exit by turning the key back to off, which I just did to confirm that the locks lock & unlock, they do.
I also just did the programming and left the key in the on position until the locks locked & unlocked.
Everything goes by the book except they still don't work after exiting the programming mode.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Normally I exit by turning the key back to off, which I just did to confirm that the locks lock & unlock, they do.
I also just did the programming and left the key in the on position until the locks locked & unlocked.
Everything goes by the book except they still don't work after exiting the programming mode.

i'll look into this to see what I can find.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Theres not much to the system, if it doesn't work right it's either the keyfobs or the module itself. Do you take the keys out of the ign and close the doors and it still doesn't work? If the module will see the keyfobs during program mode but wont store them you mabe looking at a new module.

The VSM's in the 2002s are a known problem. In late 2002, Ford updated the part to address the problem (old # 2C7T-15K602-AJ -- new #4C7Z-15604-AC or maybe newer # now). The VSM is attached to the firewall, just above the transmission hump and has 3 separate wire cluster harnesses plugged into it. It must be read and the new VSM reprogrammed by the dealer for your specific truck when being changed out.
The VSM not only controls the FOBs and doorlocks, but also the dome lights, Door entry keypad, DRL along with other lamp functions. One of the early warning signs of a VSM going south is that the FOBs will not work or they work intermittently.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts