Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

6.0 Tear Down

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Instructions said to vent the regulator to the ground in case of failure.. i didnt like the idea of dumping Diesel on the ground when i dont see fuel prices ever dropping to .10 a gallon again.. itd be one thing if they were.. but not when it takes 300 month to fill the dern thing...

image_zpsfinvcqzt.jpg

1/8" line connected to the Purge dump port...

image_zpssjhblarb.jpg

routed to the line just behind the front tire next to the shock..

image_zpsxt9u9hyo.jpg

11' to the rear of the truck...

image_zps7f05ydo3.jpg

little drilling to the top of the filler neck

image_zpsg1q3cx47.jpg

thought i was back further.. got kinda lucky here...

image_zpsbri9dzw4.jpg

Some parts from the local Lowes plumbing section...

image_zpsqndtxtkz.jpg

Just enough room hehe

image_zpsg9dp9szs.jpg

and now its all connected...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
got the last bits done...

image_zpsai4ndjmm.jpg

bad ones on bottom... i swear i hate that it sprung 2 weeks outside of the warranty... friend got ford to warranty it anyways.. but never got the new one after making numerous calls.. it apparently had shown back up at the warehouse a little over a month ago.. was shipped back out but still never got it.. so just bought another from another place.. nice thing is Lifetime Warranty on this one..

image_zpsi2rqajtd.jpg

how it shouldnt look..

image_zpswcxiswux.jpg

how it should look..

image_zpstnbtkvcx.jpg

and now i got fuel pressure.. the only downside i have to this gauge compared to the last was the last one was a RT sensing.. This one has a 3 second delay in it..

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
and now i got fuel pressure.. the only downside i have to this gauge compared to the last was the last one was a RT sensing.. This one has a 3 second delay in it..

*So when will you be turning the key?

*As another way to access data besides, the gauges, you might look into the Torque app for your Android phone. Get the pro version, and there is access to a bunch of PID's that let you get a LOT of added info. Word has it that people with diesels were the ones that got and made the PID's available; you'd be surprised what else some of them work on. Anyhow, something to think about, and the price to experiment is very righteous. :)

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
thats what i got a scan gauge for bill.. but dont enjoy it to much..

i was hoping to be driving it around yesterday and today but unfortunately the batteries seem like their either internally shorted or just dead.. when i tried to crank her over again yesterday *click click click click*.. had them both on the charger most of yesterday afternoon.. no go.. went out today with my hydrometer (electrical tape works wonders for fixing the squeeze ball lol).. out of 12 cells... 1 tested barely into the fair... 2 didnt even budge the needle at all. and the rest were on the low end of being bad.. like they moved the needle but barely made it into the box... so id say both batteries are toast...

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Are you fully certain that the Scangauge can access all the data that Torque Pro can? I ask because, I have an Ultragauge, it's nice and all that, but you can't add PID's, therefore a guy is limited to what *they* let you have.

*Torque will let you record both vehicle operating conditions (data you select) and your map location using GPS together; this can be handy for and God forbid, determining conditions (geography, hills for example) and vehicle conditions when it misbehaves.

Last edited:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Are you fully certain that the Scangauge can access all the data that Torque Pro can? I ask because, I have an Ultragauge, it's nice and all that, but you can't add PID's, therefore a guy is limited to what *they* let you have.

*Torque will let you record both vehicle operating conditions (data you select) and your map location using GPS together; this can be handy for and God forbid, determining conditions (geography, hills for example) and vehicle conditions when it misbehaves.

https://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge/ford-specific-xgauges/

all the PID's you can program into the scangauge II.. you have to watch what model you buy as not all of them will do it..

and how to program them in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0aYZLlWeqo

the one i have will data log.. book claims it can use GPS but dunno how accurate that would be. i mainly got it for scan gauge and sensor read outs when i was trying to figure out why it wouldnt start before..

Last edited:

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
the truck apparently gets to go for a ride on the wrecker now... boooo

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
image_zps6iz8snur.jpg

*sniffle*

image_zpsjzcqmp9h.jpg

apparently not allowed to just pull the battery's and take them up there.. they want to test them on the truck while connected to see if theyre really bad.. also because the service center was the one to do it theyre the ones that have to claim the warranty.

They apparently have some fancy battery charger/tester that will check the batterys condition.. if they fail then they get a code to turn in with the warranty. or so they said.. not sure i fully buy into that.. maybe vince can confirm it since he works for a ford..

blacksnapon

Staff member
Yeah, there's the Rotunda GR190 charger that gives you dtc codes and "aces" codes for warranty. Is it a better charger? NOPE. But you have to use it for warranty. If you don't, they'll charge it back to you. I've had them say the battery is bad, but they weren't.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
good to know... i figured they were just trying to blow smoke up my butt just to get the truck in the shop.. i was more than happy to have brought the batterys to them..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Welp Lil Dually gets to spend another night at the dealer.. Steve called me back about 4pm today to say he was unable to get my truck into the shop.. APPARENTLY they kept having vehicles come in today that had problems with them. Every single one that got into the bays had an problem with it... Well what do ya know... lol yes i had a bit of a laugh at that irony too... lol

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Got word from the dealer.. Batteries failed.. YAY.. which theyre going to replace under the 36 month warranty.. that the good news..

BAD news.. also have a Dieing alternator theyre suspecting to be the cause.. apparently was only putting out like 40 some amps instead of the 140 it was supposed to be doing.. and also got an ABS light i didnt know about.. never saw it lit on the dash. so theyre checking on if the trucks warranty will cover the other 2 now.. kinda wonder if that abs lights not from that plug on the inner fender that keeps coming apart.. didnt think about that when i was talking to him...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
got the final prognosis today... they replaced the batteries under the batteries warranty.. alt is covered by my trucks warranty.. they paid most of it.. and the abs light was caused by either the bad batteries or the bad alt.. either way not a abs problem.. just low voltage issue..

said they got everything back together.. but the warranty companies dragging their feet again on paying the dealer... untill they pay i cant pick her up.. theyre hoping thatll happen tomorrow.. downside i have somewhere to be after work tomorrow so i wont be able to pick her up.. parents said they would if they called..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Lil duallys home again... Dad said when he was coming home with it that it ran smooth for the most part but from time to time itd run a little rough.. hopefully that doesnt continue for long...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
ya know theres a reason i hate taking my truck into places.. youd think dealers wouldnt bust crap theyre not working on... I got home last night after my parents picked the truck up for me since i couldnt.. Was reading through the repair order.. come to find out while "pushing" my truck into the service bay the morons managed to bust the spare tire winch.. WTH!?!?! why didnt they just put the thing in neutral and physically PUSH!!! is by HAND!!! like we did when i worked at the dealers?? its not that fricken hard.. my only guess is these idiots used the fork lift to push the truck around... cuz theres marks both on the trailer hitch and they messed up the rim a bit too.. ntm knocked the weigh 2inch off from where it was.. also looked like the rim was drug along the curb too..

image_zpsdy6llwcb.jpg

Where the rough patch started..

image_zpse8pcadqp.jpg

where it finished.. i took a hammer and bent it back in place.. looks almost like new.. took a file to smooth the lip back out too.. and because i could still see where the weight USE to be.. i bent the clip part enough for it to grip again (managed to "pop" it off while i was bending the rim back in place.. more like it jumped off it was that loose) then popped it back on where it use to be.. hope thatll mean its balanced well now..

image_zpsmjiqfham.jpg

shiny new cable.. retainer block looked new too but cant say for 100%

image_zpsef5g81o2.jpg

new winch...

and when i went looking around the engine bay to make sure they put it back together correctly.. i discovered when they replaced the batteries they didnt put the new felt rings i just put on the old batterys during re-assembly onto the new ones when they put them in.. little annoyed at that...

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
very.. atleast shes home now... hoping to go shopping with her tomorrow to see how shell do..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
:headbang::headbang: grrrr :headbang::headbang:

go to take the truck out for a little fun time on the streets.. no where in particular.. just go for a drive.. only to turn the key and hear "click" "click" "click" "click" no cranky.. not even an attempt.. and not the high speed clickclickclickclick... so now i get the fun of finding out where this drain is thats in the truck killing them.. hoping its just a bad ground or something.. put the batteries in the shed and put the charger on it for the 5amp charge.. will switch it to the other tomorrow.. this is so annoying...

Ford Truck Articles