Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

F350 Gasser Swap

I was getting ready to swap my CCLB F350 for a smaller gasser when the head gaskets on its IDIT decided to pack up. This truck has been nothing but issues but I really like the body style I just wish I got a gasser. So my plan is to pull the IDIT and it’s ZF5 for a swap to a 460 with a Fitech or Holley set up for EFI, gonna replace the tanks and redo the hardlines. Engine and trans aside are there any frame differences I should look for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Diesel and 460 use the same perches

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
I hear yes, not sure. I know the bell will bolt up, but I think there are 2 different input shafts.
Same for the gas zf. I ran into that on my f 350
b8004d89859c8fd3df0071ca3ef6b865.jpg

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Look on rockauto, and compare part numbers.

Make sure gear ratios arent different. I know E4ODs had 3 different trans, one for SB Gas, BB Gas and Diesel, the 2 gas trans had the same gears, the diesel was different.

Might be the same for the ZF5

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Zf5 was usually 3.55, or 3.73
Look on door tag for b9, or 39 where it says axle if it has a zf in it

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Look on the rear on the back, top right of the cover plate, should be a metal tag on one of the bolts. Snap a picture and post it, I will tell you in the morning what it is

Fellro

Staff member
The dowel pins are in a different location. I have heard some egg out the holes to match. The clutch on the diesel is a dual mass, potentially does have a different input than the gas, and the gearing is lower than most gas engines like.

Somethign esle to watch out for since you are in the earlier ZF years is that 92 and newer have no provisions for a speedo.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
On 93 back you can see a knock out where the speedo gear goes, you drill it out..
His truck should have a abs speed sensor driven speedometer, those started in 92. Or he may have to change the dash.
My 94 1/2 is a powerstroke zf 5, it's electric

On 93 back you can see a knock out where the speedo gear goes, you drill it out..
His truck should have a abs speed sensor driven speedometer, those started in 92. Or he may have to change the dash.
My 94 1/2 is a powerstroke zf 5, it's electric

From what I know it does appear I have the front end ABS. Truck is an early 94 IDI.

I’m hoping I can find someone local who has a 460 ZF combo that would just swap with me, I’m ok with an engine that needs massaged.

Fellro

Staff member
True, turbo (duh on my part). I have a 92 trans from a 460, saw the drill out area, but would also require the plastic gear behind it and all of that. Has considered trying to use it but all mine have the speedo gear. Havng the speedo read off the rear axle made the Cummins conversion alot easier.

True, turbo (duh on my part). I have a 92 trans from a 460, saw the drill out area, but would also require the plastic gear behind it and all of that. Has considered trying to use it but all mine have the speedo gear. Havng the speedo read off the rear axle made the Cummins conversion alot easier.

I have been interested in that guys project to make a digital OBS dash and I believe it uses a GPS speedo. I’m not too worried about the speedo namely worried about getting it to bolt up. Seems like the trans is the much bigger issue it looks like based on local prices.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Yup. A decent zf going to hit your pocket about $1800

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
If memory serves, the ZF5 is a fixed bell housing, and the 7.3 and 460 are not the same bell housing pattern... you could be looking for a transmission from a 460 truck to make your swap work

Yup. A decent zf going to hit your pocket about $1800

They run around 800-1200 in and around GA, we’ve got a couple of good pull a parts that still carry OBS stuff so I’ll get the IDI, turbo set up and trans sold then start looking.

Ford Truck Articles