Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Brake upgrades?

Anyone know of brake upgrades for the front. 82 2wd

Truck gets raced, it's on 20s and would be nice to have stronger front brakes. I have a parts list together to do a rear disc conversion.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Anyone know of brake upgrades for the front. 82 2wd

Truck gets raced, it's on 20s and would be nice to have stronger front brakes. I have a parts list together to do a rear disc conversion.

i know summit and bear make aftermarket rotors for them... theyre cross drilled and slotted... i actually running summits rotors on my 04..

one thing id say between ceramic and semi metalic pads stick with the semimetallic... just under the weight of the truck alone i had stopping issues with the ceramics.. when i put semi-metallics back on it stopped on a dime.. i dunno if theres a kevlar variant or if itd work better or not.. but id say stick with the semi's...

unfortunately i wasnt able to find an aftermarket performance master cyl for the truck

I hate semi metallic pads. Typically noisy, a lot of brake dust and do not last very long. I run carbon fiber ceramic on everything.

Really looking for caliper upgrades.

Master and booster could easily be done with something from another vehicle. No so much rotors and calipers though

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
upgradeing to the 92 or newer calipers would work, but you would have to change a whole lot of parts.
Changing to a f 250-350 master cyl would be a big improvement

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
I hate semi metallic pads. Typically noisy, a lot of brake dust and do not last very long. I run carbon fiber ceramic on everything.

i never have problems with them being "noisy"... but in comparison to the ceramics i found the ceramic pads made more dust than the semi's... i still have ceramics on the mustang... which work fine on that (was told lighter vehicles theyre fine but heavier they over heat fast and lose their grippy which seemed to be the case with the truck)... when the stang had the semi's on it id get roughly a couple weeks before the dust started to show on the rims... but with the ceramics its like the first day out its showing again on the rims...

longevity they seem to be equal for me as well..

I did the Chevy brake calipers and ford discs on the rear with a brand new master and it made a huge difference. Still want more stopping power though

Ford Truck Articles