Ford Truck Fanatics  

Home Gallery TOTM New Posts My Threads / My Replies Links Sponsors Calendar Arcade Calculators Fliers
Go Back   Ford Truck Fanatics > General > Garage and Tool Zone

Garage and Tool Zone Tool discussion, or anything pertaining to your garage.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:00 AM
New Ford Dieseler

Jax will become famous soon enough
@john112deere - this is a fabulous thread!

Please continue and post more pics! Thank you so very much.

Sterling 10.3, 3.73 Limited slip, single rear wheels, bought 01 Jan 2020 w/ Engine disassembled
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2020, 06:09 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherdoug View Post
A lot of work, with some history!
It's the history that makes the work worth it...I picked up a couple project rotary mowers the other day (one for me and one for Mom)...and remembered within about 15 minutes how much I hate working on small engines.

'Course, now that I have the stupid things- I even paid good money for them- I can't bring myself to cut my losses and toss 'em in a dumpster...but I've gotten zero enjoyment from my time working on them. (I was hoping the Honda needed a drive belt, but evidently it needs a transmission- a few parts yanked out and it's a push-model...but it runs good. With a new recoil assembly and a carb cleaning, the other will probably run and work, too...not hard, but I've got other stuff I'd rather be doing.)

I'm hours (and many hundreds of dollars) into the Deeres without that same feeling. Lots of bad words and more than a few times wondering why I bother with this old junk...but farting around with the push mowers was just such an immediate "I'm not enjoying this!" feeling...

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed (not running)-- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed (gone)
1986 BMW R80 -- 2020 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 3.5L 6-cyl 6-speed

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 06-02-2020, 08:00 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

john112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond reputejohn112deere has a reputation beyond repute
I had the new motor in the '69, and just about buttoned up...last remaining task was to connect the throttle cable.

Which, apparently, had been routed wrong to begin with...motor came back out to put it where it belongs, and I'm too frustrated by the whole mess to put in long hours. I believe it's right now, but it's still a b*tch to get all the pieces on the front of the engine assembled in proper location and sequence (for instance, the throttle cable clamp (that holds the outer sheath from moving) is held on by one of the fuel pump screws...you need three very, very small hands to hold the pump, gasket and clip in place, and get the screw started...it might be easier (considering the ways the human wrist bends) if you stood on your head; I'm not sure.

Finally found (I think) the correct carb kit for Grandpa's- all the numbers matched up across a few different sources, but it's on backorder and won't be here for another week or two. Should be pretty easy to get that taken care of, once I have the parts. Already dipped and cleaned everything, just had to put it back together with old rubber, that no longer wants to seal.

On the bright side, BOTH header nuts came loose on my parts bike tonight with just a bit of MAPP gas- aluminum nuts on aluminum heads, they're known for buggering the threads on the head when you try to take them off; I was expecting to have cut them off rather than risk it, but a good dose of penetrating oil and heat, and one good whack to the wrench, and off they spun. Hopefully will go the same on my good bike (which should be easier as it's been apart more recently, but it needs header tubes, pretty badly), but even if I have to cut those off I've got one set of reusable nuts.

1997 Ranger XLT 4x2, 2.3L 4-cyl 5-speed (not running)-- 2009 Ranger XLT 4x4, 4.0L V-6 5-speed (gone)

The advantages of modern engineering are in many ways over balanced by the disadvantages of modern civilization.
--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 06-05-2020, 07:50 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

I've got the Kohler running...long fight with the throttle cable, and I gave up on the choke cable...I'm missing a clamp and it's pretty easy to just stand beside the machine and choke it.

Thinking I should replace the carburetor before I finish breaking it in, though...the carb on it, like most of this tractor, is tired and worn...I rebuilt it, but I think it's probably too worn out to ever really tune properly...don't want an air leak at the throttle shaft leaning out the mixture and overheating my new engine, ya know?

But...it runs. Pretty well, even, considering the carb issues. Only a few gremlins to chase...one wire got unhooked at the solenoid that took me a minute to track down, and I had to file the points a little to get a good spark...but otherwise, it was a pretty easy first start.

--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 06-09-2020, 01:17 PM
Texas Chapter member

Jasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud ofJasperrc has much to be proud of
Nice, glad you are sticking with it and making progress!

'77 F100 Flareside

"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."
Old 06-20-2020, 03:21 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

My new carburetor (for mine) showed up Wednesday, and I got it mounted up and tuned yesterday afternoon. Bit more fiddling this morning and I'm prepared to call it 'good enough'...probably a little more fine-tuning the carb yet, but I'd like to wait until I get the mower deck mounted up and see how it does under load.

That's waiting on getting another hour or two on the engine and another oil change, just 'cause it's a pain to install the deck, then remove to change the oil. Been puttering around the yard in circles a bit; it's not as much fun as it used to be, back before I could drive a car, but I sure do still like driving that thing.

--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 06-26-2020, 07:21 PM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

New carb came in the other week, got that fitted up and finished the initial break-in of the engine. Mounted up the mower deck last night (only took two tries to get the drive belt routed...for as many years as it's been since I hung a mower deck under one of these, it went pretty smoothly) and this afternoon I mowed my lawn with it.

This is pretty exciting...I drove the hell out of this tractor before I had a driver's license, but it really hasn't been used much since I went off to college. As I think I said earlier, I got it running and loaned it to a friend in 2012 when he bought a house and didn't have his JD 140 running. (If you're sensing a theme here, well...)

Anyway- it ran well, cut pretty well...if I were the sort to care, I'd probably try to adjust the deck a little better than it is...but I don't have the kind or lawn, or the kind of temperament, that requires perfection on that front.

Definitely wondering about trying to get the brakes fixed though- the lawn here has some pretty tricky spots, and evidently I've gotten a little wiser than I used to be...I might dare get a little closer to the steep parts if I had brakes. (Never used to worry me...put it in a gear to go "uphill" then roll downhill with the clutch in, drive back up...seems scarier than it used to, somehow. Or the slopes here are steeper than where I used to mow- yeah, that's it.)

I gotta find some hood bolts for this thing sometime...I swear I do actually have hoods for these tractors. Occasionally I even use them, despite lack of photographic evidence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JD112k - 1.jpg (15.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg JD112k - 2.jpg (13.1 KB, 2 views)

--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 07-04-2020, 11:41 AM
caffeine junkie

Super Moderator

Grandpa was the machine-shop foreman at a machine-tool builder- which meant he had access to some good fabrication equipment and materials. He built the plow blade shown earlier in this thread, and also a hydraulic dumping cart for this tractor. Sad to say my lack of good place to store it over the past decade hasn't done it any favors...it's aged more in the last 10 years than the 40 previous...but I hauled it home the other day and tucked it in a shed. Needs some attention but nothing major- mostly just clean and paint, plus new hoses and a valve stem (or possibly a tube) in one tire.

Great little cart...it sure hauled a lot of firewood over the years for Grandpa, as well as all kinds of other stuff.

Added to the project list...I need to add rear hydraulics and double-hitch (trailer ball and pin-style) to my other JD, too- they weren't a factory thing, just something Grandpa added when he built the cart. Little bit of effort and a few bucks in fittings, but it'll be handy to have dump capability off both tractors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JD_trailer - 1.jpg (353.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg JD_trailer - 2.jpg (361.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg JD_trailer - 3.jpg (215.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg JD_trailer - 4.jpg (241.3 KB, 5 views)

--Col. W.A. Roebling
Old 07-04-2020, 11:43 AM

heavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to beholdheavydoc is a splendid one to behold
That is awesome
20 Kenworth T270

"DOC"
Old 07-04-2020, 03:42 PM

slmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond reputeslmann has a reputation beyond repute
very cool