Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Ford Now States That Mercon LV can Be Used In Place Of Mercon SP!!!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Ford now states that Mercon LV can be used to top off and/or replace Mercon SP transmission fluid in the Tourqeshift transmission......

Here is the service broadcast message:
Ford Special Service Message 21114

Maybe one of our resident Ford tech's can cut and paste the full "message" for us.

Thanks,

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Here it is.

MESSAGE TITLE: REPLACEMENT TRANSMISSION FLUID FOR SERVICING TORQSHIFT TRANSMISSIONS

APPLICABLE VEHICLES :
2003 - 2005 TRUCK : 00126 EXCURSION
2003 - 2008 TRUCK : 00028 F-SERIES
2004 - 2008 TRUCK : 00016 E-SERIES
2006 - 2008 TRUCK : 00175 F-SERIES MOTORHOME
2006 - 2008 HEAVY TRUCK : 00168 LOW CAB FORWARD

OASIS MESSAGE :
ALL 2003-2008 F-SUPER DUTY, 2003-2005 EXCURSION, 2004-2008 E-SERIES AND
2006-2008 LCF VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A TORQSHIFT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS SHOULD
BE SERVICED WITH MERCON LV AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID IN PLACE OF MERCON SP.
THIS INCLUDES TOP OFF AS WELL AS FLUID REPLACEMENT. MIXING MERCON LV AND MERCON
SP IN THE TORQSHIFT TRANSMISSION IS ACCEPTABLE. USE MERCON LV TRANSMISSION FLUID
TO SERVICE VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH TORQSHIFT TRANSMISSIONS. WHEN ADDING OR
REPLACING TRANSMISSION FLUID IN A VEHICLE EQUIPPED WITH A TORQSHIFT
TRANSMISSION, USE MERCON LV TRANSMISSION FLUID.

APPLICABLE SYMPTOM CODES :
500000 DRIVELINE
504000 DRIVELINE OTHER AUTO TRANS CONCERNS
510000 DRIVELINE FLUID CONCERNS

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Dave,

Thanks... that is what I was looking for in order to verify that Mercon LV is now allowed in the Torqueshift transmission.

Do you happen to know the performance difference between the two and/or what makes Mercon LV better or the "next best transmission fluid specification" for Ford?

Hey Never have to change tanny fluid again, sounds great. How much more is going to cost.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Hey Never have to change tanny fluid again, sounds great. How much more is going to cost.

I will still change my fluid as it just makes good common sense.

1) No fluid is "lifetime" - that's just marketing.

2) One will still need to replace filters.

This is what gets Ford into trouble (and other companies as well). First, the coolant was good for 100,000 miles... but we have since learned from Ford that it is NOT!!!

Ford states that brake fluid never needs to be changed... but those of us with experience know what good brake fluid looks like versus old/moisture impregnated brake fluid.

Ford never authorized 5W-40 synthetic motor oil even though it had the proper API service ratings... but now they do... as they have learned that it does help prevent coking and better cold weather starts.

Mercon SP for me as long as it is available and then I will use Mercon LV... and will still flush my fluid and change filters every 30,000 miles (still cheap insurance in my mnd).

Then again, I only have 183,000 trouble-free miles on my 2003 Excursion 6.0L PSD, so what do I know about using common sense when it comes to maintanence????

I will be changing mine at the regular manitanence ever 30K. Truck as 116 k tanny fluid change Due at 120K
Fill for life, what is Life, my father in-law is 92 now that life.
if only other thing would last as long I be in good shape.

Last edited:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
From a report in 2007... here is info on Mercon LV.
http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_article000801818.cfm?x=b9qLVVK,b4bRbnH9

Mercon LV is 100% synthetic:
http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/showdetl.cfm?st=0&st2=0&st3=0&CATID=21&Product_ID=3578&DID=6
Mercon LV—the latest Ford ATF, it is factory fill in 2008 and later Fords. The LV stands for "low viscosity." It is a fully synthetic ATF. It is not compatible with earlier Mercon fluids, so it should neither be mixed with Mercon or Mercon V used to replace those fluids. It is not compatible with any other fluid, either.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts