Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Wrong transmission fluid help

I have a 07 ford escape front wheel drive 3.0l it calls for mercon tranny fluid I been putting type f in it the past two months only thing I noticed is that it shifts hard will putting the right fluid in it with out flushing it will it matter please respond Thank you Damian molt

If I don't have time or the place . My left axel shaft leaks tranny fluid BC the seal is bad ..so BC of it draining all the time can't I just keep adding mercon to save what's not messed up thank you for your reply

I'm going to get it flushed next week I got another question for anyone what kind of transmission is in a 07 ford escape front wheel drive 3,0l v6 xlt . I can't find one or what kind it is . Thank u mat

@ 5.0 flare side I've had type f in it for two months also put over 5k miles with that fluid in it what exactly will or can happen im getting it flushed next wek

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
@ 5.0 flare side I've had type f in it for two months also put over 5k miles with that fluid in it what exactly will or can happen im getting it flushed next wek

It can eat into seals and the trans pump. They have completely different chemical make ups of fluid. Also trans can give harsh shifting at times like said above, and if trans wasn't built or tuned that way ain't always better.

Yup my seals are out BC it leaks like no other and yes I feel the hard shifts some times but thank u for your help if it's leaking out my left axel shaft what do u think is wrong the seal that goes in the half shaft got eaten by the fluid

Type f don't have friction modals or w e it's called and mercon does . Do they just sell friction molders at the auto part store for rear ends and transmissions

Fellro

Staff member
Type F is from the days of asbestos clutches. It does have the friction modifiers, as asbestos is quite slick when oiled, so in order to get them to grab, they had to put the modifiers in. Newer transmissions use paper lined clutch plates, so they aren't as durable as the asbestos. What often happens when people use type F in a paper clutch transmission is that the clutches try to grab when there is no pressure applied, which in time tears the clutch material off the metal plates.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
No.

There is nothing you can pour into your transmission that will turn Type F into Mercon V. Period.

Asking this question a dozen says won't change the answer. The right thing to do is flush and refill with the correct fluid. But it's your vehicle, and you are free to use whatever fluids you chose in it.

It don't have to be a dick about it I asked BC not everyone knows what there talking about so I was jw but thank for being a rude $$$$

Fellro

Staff member
Sure, you can dump something in to make it grab more, which is backwards of what you need. The old Type F DOES have the friction modifiers in it. It is an old trick to make a trans grab better to dump type F into make it grab, but it comes at the price of shorter life. You come in here asking the same question over and over, now you are saying we don't know what we are talking about? I am still trying to understand why you even thought a fluid that hasn't been spec's in 40 years was a good one to use? I saw it all the time working the parts counter too, people seem to think that if it is Ford it is type F, which hasn't been true for like I say, 40 years. Dex/Merc, Mercon V and Mercon VI are the modern fluids that are used in the modern cars. Many of the transmissions that did originally require Type F are not going to use it once rebuilt as the asbestos clutches are replaced with the paper clutches. The C6 is a good example. The early versions used Type F, the later ones used Dexron which has later become Dex/Merc.

Ford Truck Articles