Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Trans Flush???

Hi... I have a 2009 Ford Escape (79k miles) & the Ford dealership told me that I need a trans flush ...I've heard everywhere to NOT get this as it will mess up the tranny.... Who do i believe?? Supposedly the fluid is black or so they say...they are charging me $215......

Help please...
Thanks!!!!

You'd be fine with a fluid & filter change IMO. Do it yourself & save $. Not a hard job, just nasty. Make sure to get the correct fluid. You should be able to do this for around $50-60 tops. $215 sounds steep!!! I have never in my life seen trans fluid be "black"! Unless of coarse it was a manual with really old lube. Trans fluid gets a yellowish brown color when it's worn, not black. Pull your dipstick out & take a look, it should not be black!

Last edited:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Check the dipstick. If it takes Mercon LV, that has a tendency to turn blackish very quickly. It does not affect performance.

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
The escape probably takes mercon LV which turns black very quickly which is normal. I also think this is a drain and fill tranny don't think you can flush it and to change the filter the trans has to be removed and opened up to access.

Ford Truck Articles