Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

long beds harder to find than shortbeds?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Come to Texas..
You;ll never see a short bed :)

I'd bet money there were more long beds made than short.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I think it depends on the area where you live, out here in west was mostly farm and ranch land, and they had very little use for a short bed truck..

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'd bet money there were more long beds made than short.

x2...

Then why do i see more shortbeds for sale and driving around dont make no sence.:headbang:

you're not looking in the right places????? As Tex said...it depends on your area. Where I'm at...you'll see 15-20 longbeds for every shortbed.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Shortbeds are for sissies.....that being said the longbeds were the work horses of this generation....and the majority of them got used like a truck should be.....they're probly all rusted and fallin apart by now with little to nothing left of them.....real men drive longbeds sissyboys drive shortbeds.

(I am VERY aware my truck is a shortbed)

Shortbeds are for sissies.....that being said the longbeds were the work horses of this generation....and the majority of them got used like a truck should be.....they're probly all rusted and fallin apart by now with little to nothing left of them.....real men drive longbeds sissyboys drive shortbeds.

(I am VERY aware my truck is a shortbed)
i always thought people that really needed a truck had long beds. then i met my father-in-law. he's got a few trucks - all short beds, and could pretty much (and does) build a house from the ground up all by himself. my opinion of short beds has changed

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I don't really think it's fair to say shortbeds are for sissies...I mean damn...they're the same truck, just a foot and a half shorter...If you're not carrying around sheets of plywood, does it really make a difference? Less sheetmetal weight, and better turning radius. I seem to remember a guy (can't remember who it was) who had pics of his shortbed loaded up with lumber in front of a Lowe's or Home Depot. Shortbeds are just as capable just with less cargo room. If shortbeds are for sissies, what are Bronco's for...they're even shorter...GASP.

...If you're not carrying around sheets of plywood, does it really make a difference?...
that's what i was saying above. my father-in-law carries that around all the time and he either puts the tailgate down or uses a ladder rack. if he doesn't need one...not many people do

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah theres only a handful of short beds here. I think its mostly cause a long bed gives ya more wieght in the rear end in the winter time and theres a lot of farms and stuff like that here where people use a truck like a truck.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
i assumed, but i always had roughly the same opinion. just thought i'd clear up a lot of the "well he needs one". my guess is 90% of the people that have one don't need it (long bed, or truck for that matter)

x2...I wasn't pointing my post directly towards you JR...more as a general blanket statement. I hear all the time it's not a 'real' truck if it's a shortbed, or only people who like lowriders should have a shortbed...I never understood that...so I was kinda venting.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
The only reason I like short beds better is they look... there's pretty much it.
But I dunno i'm so mad at my truck right now i'm about to go empty a few ak drums in to it.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I can see where it would be good for rock crawlin where ya need the better approach/departure angles and for makin a very quick street truck/drag truck. One would also be good for runnin tight trails where a longbed couldnt go cause its too long to turn the corners. Alos theyre easier to park in tight parkin lots.

Ridgerunner

Missouri Chapter member
Stillwater Ok
I like them both. I have a shortbed GMC and took twice as many loads for moving. I wish I had found my 73 F100 before I moved that long bed would have been handy.

Ok, I'll say it. I personally think a lifted shortbed done right looks better than a long bed any day of the week. IMO a shortbed has more character than a long bed does.

Well I guess a lot does depend on location. And individual preference. All I can tell you is that around here, you see a long bed- and it's generally beat up and/or carrying a bunch of stuff (or people...or animals) in the bed -i.e. it's being used for trucky stuff.

The short beds I see on the road are usually much prettier, and, judging by generally higher sales prices, much more in demand as restoration/modification projects.

Make of that what you will.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts