Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Intro and question abt parts

Hi All! Yes, I'm new here. I've been a fan of Fords for a while- as the ones I've used at work just don't stop. So when I stumbled across this ol' farm truck I just couldn't resist. She's a one owner borderline creampuff- original paint, all trim/chrome, sweet original interior, hell, even the original hubcaps.
She's been a propane conversion since 1984 (all her paperwork/history was in the glovebox), so even with 90k on the clock she should have lots of life left in her- starts right up, purrs like a kitten- albeit a large kitten, and doesn't leak a drop of anything (knock on wood).

Mechanically, everything's good- though I did have to replace the driveshaft center support assembly, but I knocked that out within an afternoon.

She does need some random stuff- like a tailgate, but I figure I should find something like that locally, as shipping would be a small fortune I'm sure.

What you guys might be able to help with though, is the running lights on the cab roof. One of the lights is busted off, and the others look pretty dry rotted and faded. I've perused the internet for OEM replacements, but I'm not having much luck. If anybody could point me in the right direction, that'd be awesome!

l_552cf5a0d4dc46c19278755fd8ca56ba.jpg

Last edited:
I have 4 roof Lights left.

They are $10.00 each.
How many would you like ?

Last edited:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Thats a nice looking truck you got there welcome to the site. You might wanna check either lmc or the company i order everything through browns browns is alot cheaper than lmc though. Got any more pictures?

I've never heard of Browns browns before?
You could also check out Macs antique trucks.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
NIIIIICE truck........looks good......and the propane conversion can do nothing but help that 460 out......get some underhood and interior pics...that has got to be one clean truck.....oh, and welcome to the site!You should join your local chapter...where bouts are ya from?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Just wanted to pop in and say welcome velocitboy...great to see another dentside lover here.

Hey thanks for the welcomes.

Yes, I will get some more pics up when I get the chance. Since I currently live in a crowded downtown area (in El Paso, TX), full of buses and college kids and other potential door-dingers and thieves, I'm keeping the truck across town at a relative's house.

Also, thanks for the pointers on lmc and brown brown and mac's- that'll all come in handy at some point I'm sure.

As for the lights, I'll go halfsies with you on Mil1on's lights, jc. Two for you and two for me! Normally, I'd be greedy and take them all, but you gotta respect a guy who has a tree fall all over his truck! 'smiliedoh'

I'll send you a PM on the lights, Mil1on!

welcome!! is that truck running on [1] straight propane ? or [2] duel fuel? you bet there is lots of life in that moter yet if the valve seats are hardened as you didnt say what year or engine size i ran a 79 super cab with a 460 for over 10 years and when i pulled it out when i wrecked the truck the inside valve covers were as clean as the day i installed them by the way what is the price of propane where you live?

jcduerr: I don't need all four anyway. Now if he was selling all 5, then I might bite. Besides, I already sent the PM.

miottimouse: The engine's the original '78 460. The truck was set up to run duel fuel- lpg OR gasoline. However, once the previous owner had it converted, he never used the gasoline. The tanks have been dry for years, and the key to the gas caps long gone. I have half a mind to drop/clean the tanks and fuel lines and carb, etc... and try and get the system going again, just so I have that option available, but if that happens, it probably won't be till summer when I have more time. BTW from what I understand, propane is going for about 2.50 a gal here in El Paso. ...abt the same as premium gasoline. Honestly, I haven't had buy any yet, as it had 60 gallons in the tank when I bought it on Wednesday.

wow 2.50 a gal i know thats why i junked the system we have too much greed and taxes in canada propane sells for 80 cents a litre in fox creek just wasnt worth the price then reg gas is going for 87 cents i was lucky to get 8 mpg pulling a 9 ft camper and 18 ft boat but when your ready i have a lot of tips to make that thing hum being your in a warm climate it should run good any ways
when you have time send some more pics love to see em regurds joe

Okay 2 for VBoy and a PM back has been sent

2 for Josh

Josh, anything else you need ?

My 77 w/460 is on Propane only.
I got the truck dirt cheap and LP at $0.72 liter looked might fine when reg gasoline went to $1.42 a litre last year.

I don't drive much anymore and if I have to replace the propane tank I won't bother. I will go back to the Lincoln and the 77 F150 SC will be sold.

My 77 w/460 is on Propane only.
I got the truck dirt cheap and LP at $0.72 liter looked might fine when reg gasoline went to $1.42 a litre last year.

I don't drive much anymore and if I have to replace the propane tank I won't bother. I will go back to the Lincoln and the 77 F150 SC will be sold.

Yah, from what I gather, propane conversions are/were a lot more common in Canada (and Australia) than here in the U.S. Hell, there's even a few Canadian and Australian lpg conversion people in the Starion forum I frequent.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts