Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Has to happen to-do list...

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Figured I had been sitting on my haunches long enough, and decided to take an inventory of everything my rigs needed to get back on the road. Here's what I came up with:

Red, hasn't even been started in the las 6-8 months, and moved minimally over the last 18 months. After some engine rotations by hand and a new battery she started right up.

-I've got a massive gas leak coming from the driver's side of the carb...like so big it leaked to the ground after moving it 30 feet. Should be an easy fix, if not I was wanting a new carb on Red anyway.

-The original reason it was essentially parked was due to the power assist leaking so bad, well, that system has leaked itself dry. The control valve, cylinder, hoses and pump should be on order some time this week. Should be another pretty simple fix...just a matter of swapping parts.

- Looks like while it's sat, it's developed a bit of a rear main leak, so that'll be a fun fix...not difficult, I just don't like doing it because it requires some finesse.

-She also needs some axle seals, front and rear...and could probably use new bearings all the way around.

-Also need to replace the boggers in the worst way...wouldn't even pass inspection.

The Bronco...my red headed step child, is actually in pretty decent shape, been keeping that relatively usable because she handles the abuse. Front and rear axles have been brought back to new (with the exception of new rear drums). However, she could use the follow:

-Entire brake system could be redone (booster and MC are currently completely shot). Haven't decided if I want to go F350 upgrade or jump right to hydroboost.

-Carb is being finicky, doesn't wanna come off high idle. Dunno why, but this carb always goes wonky once ambient temps start rising.

-In the near future, she could definitely use a C6 rebuild...haven't decided if I wanna tackle this myself...or send it to a buddy of mine.

-Tires are needed here as well

-Then there are the list of wants here as well, like swapping to a 3g alt, jump to a 6" Deaver lift (and all that comes with that), headers and a couple other doodads.

Thunder...has been sitting for over 2 years now, down a cylinder or two. I have a 91 460 to swap parts over...but I haven't decided if I wanna swap over the essentials, or just rebuild the original engine and drop it back in. Quite a few electical gremlins have popped up, not looking forward to it...fuel tanks/lines/pumps all probably need to be replaced. Then she should be road worthy again.

That should sum it all up, quite a bit to get done, but I'm looking forward to getting my hands dirty again...although the 90+* heat isn't all that appealing. I really think I can get all this stuff done, just have to remain motivated.

Anyone see anything else I should add? How about the rest of you guys...any projects that need to be finished, or plan on doing???

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Sounds like everything should be in top shape after that $25,000 is out of your walet :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

That's my problem... I'm too cheap! I'll never get anything done on my rigs...

What kind of carbs are you dealing with? holley?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sounds like everything should be in top shape after that $25,000 is out of your walet :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

That's my problem... I'm too cheap! I'll never get anything done on my rigs...

What kind of carbs are you dealing with? holley?

Ehh...should only be a few grand...big chunk will be tires. I've always run Holleys, and never truly have any problems, but the one on the Bronco stumps me. Red's carb appears to have an old worn out o-ring gone bad, and maybe a bit of crack in a hard line.

Sounds like a hell of a to-do list.

Ryan

I made it with the best of intentions, I dunno if I'll get it all done, but it should just be a matter of getting my ***** in gear.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
The summer was never my favorite time of year in NC... 80F with 80% humidity will about do you in...

Is it electric or hot air choke on the Bronc???

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah...can't begin to tell you how many times I've about fallen out due to heat exhaustion while working on my rigs in the summer.

And yes, e-choke.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Drink lots of water, take lots of breaks...

Is the choke opening? Sounds like a good old case of a sticking fast idle cam to me... but thats not what this thread was really about anyway, was it? :rofl2:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
It was about anything really...tips/tricks, other people's projects, it's really like a Seinfeld thread...a thread about nothing.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Since this thread is about nothing, I'm not going to do anything to my truck.

3 years out in the elements has not been kind to the paint on my truck. The cancer is showing above the rear wheel wells, and the paint is fading really bad. The truck was painted in 1996. I need to get the body work done and repainted.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The more toys you have , the more maintenance you have. Fact of life.

Fact #2...when you have the money, you don't have the time. When you have the time, you don't have the money.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Fact #2...when you have the money, you don't have the time. When you have the time, you don't have the money.

Ain't that the truth!

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
I finally got my 79 out after 6-8 months of sitting, some bowl gaskets for the Holley cured the fuel leak and lots of driving and fresh gas added when possible has her whipped back into shape. Still needs a wheel seal on the drivers rear though.

I parked it with full tanks and stabil in each tank, and the stuff still started to turn. I guess I need to turn her loose more often.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I bought a TCI kit and one of these http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=28202 when I rebuilt a C-6 about 10 years ago. It went pretty smoothly.

Cool deal...I seem to remember a line of books with 'shoeless' or 'no shoes' as the title of the books for tranny rebuilds...seems as if they really put trans rebuilds in to layman terms. I think my issue will be the need of consultation, because I have tendancy of thinking bigger is better, so I'd end up with a trans built 10x's stronger than I'd need...and wouldn't really understand the parts put together...hahaha. Rebuilding my C6 is something I'd be willing to tackle, seems like parts and my time would be 40-50% of some of the cheaper quotes I've gotten.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
that is a great idea...practice on yours so you will know what to do when I ask for help/advice when I rebuild mine

Fact #3 of this thread...sometimes you just have to fake it til you make it. I'll rebuild the tranny like I know what I'm doing, and let you think I do...hahaha.

primetime

sawmill slave
Cool deal...I seem to remember a line of books with 'shoeless' or 'no shoes' as the title of the books for tranny rebuilds...seems as if they really put trans rebuilds in to layman terms. I think my issue will be the need of consultation, because I have tendancy of thinking bigger is better, so I'd end up with a trans built 10x's stronger than I'd need...and wouldn't really understand the parts put together...hahaha. Rebuilding my C6 is something I'd be willing to tackle, seems like parts and my time would be 40-50% of some of the cheaper quotes I've gotten.

Here ya go. They`re actually dvds. I was going to link their website, but I`m having coonection issues I guess.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L3hNzxdiYw

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts