Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

BFG All-Terrain KO Tires - Glad I Bought Them!!!

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Well guys... decided it was time to buy new tires for the Excursion. I had 88,600 miles on the stock tires that came with my truck!!! They were BFG Rugged Trail tires and they still had 2/32nd of tread left... but in snow they lost their abilities. I am sold on the BFG brand.. and hope that my new tires last for a long time... but would be happy if they only 40 - 50,000 miles due to the more aggressive tread.

Purchased BFG All Terrain KO's and love them. Wanted more tread, but did not want the Mud Terrains due to the aggressive tread.

The best deal I found for the BFG All-Terrains was at Costco. There is only one catch... they do not "plus-size" tires due to liability concerns.

Costco offered:
Mounting - incl.
Balancing - incl and free for life
Rotation - incl and free for life
Road Hazzard - incl in price

Ordered on their website and they arrived at my local store in 1 week and installed in 1 hour. I like the free balance and rotation every 5,000 miles... this will save me a bunch.

Snowed the day I had them installed and they are great... and they look good to. If someone is looking for a good all-around tire... look at the BFG All-Terrain model!!!

My Sooper is about due for new tires. I have been seriously considering something like that. When you stop to think that my truck, even tho it IS only RWD duallie, spends an abnormal time on dirt, mud, snow, etc... thanks to the "sticks" out here. On my E250 van, I initially went with the BF Goodrich TA's all around, and when it came time for the next winter, felt it was still too squirrely. I read an article about that time that actually said it was BETTER to run highway A/W tread on the front for less rolling resistance, plus more rubber on the ice and M&S on the rears, especially with limited-slip differentials. I swapped out the two fronts for a couple of AW treads and was amazed at the difference in handling, wet or dry. As I said, tho, these are RWD, not 4WD.
Sounds like good tires though! How much did they run ya?

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
My Sooper is about due for new tires. I have been seriously considering something like that. When you stop to think that my truck, even tho it IS only RWD duallie, spends an abnormal time on dirt, mud, snow, etc... thanks to the "sticks" out here. On my E250 van, I initially went with the BF Goodrich TA's all around, and when it came time for the next winter, felt it was still too squirrely. I read an article about that time that actually said it was BETTER to run highway A/W tread on the front for less rolling resistance, plus more rubber on the ice and M&S on the rears, especially with limited-slip differentials. I swapped out the two fronts for a couple of AW treads and was amazed at the difference in handling, wet or dry. As I said, tho, these are RWD, not 4WD.
Sounds like good tires though! How much did they run ya?

Bought from COSTCO and spent around $700 or so.

I wanted the BFGs badly, but I was broke (normal for me) when I needed tires last spring. I got what I could...they are street tread (Yokohama Geolander H/T-S) and suck in bad weather. They are wearing fine, are real quiet, but certainly not truck tires.

I think you will be really happy with the BFGs.

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
IMHO BFG makes the best all around tire for on/off road applications. I have always had them on my trucks till I bougt the new F350. It has not been uncommon for me to get 40,000 miles out of their all terrains. There are obviously better road tires or better off road tires but I do think they offer the best of both worlds.

Also look into Discount Tire, though I think BFG has national pricing so the actual cost of the tire is about the same anywhere you go (may be wrong on this)

I know I'm a little late on this (sorry Jeff), but for future reference, if it's not the BFG name on the tire you're after, but the AT tread type and construction, try to find some Cavalier Sport King's. They're exactly like BFG AT's (Cavalier is a division of BFG, and it's BFG that makes the tire) but they cost a lot less. I ran these years ago when I couldn't afford BFG's and they were a great tire.

Last edited:

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
I know I'm a little late on this (sorry Jeff), but for future reference, if it's not the BFG name on the tire you're after, but the AT tread type and construction, try to find some Cavalier Sport King's. They're exactly like BFG AT's (Cavalier is a division of BFG, and it's BFG that makes the tire) but they cost a lot less. I ran these years ago when I couldn't afford BFG's and they were a great tire.

Yep... you are late.... oh well... live and learn.

Tell you what... pay me back the difference in price and I will forgive you (and buy you a beer).

Ford Truck Articles