Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Big Bronco Discussion

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Where i get most my bronco ideas, help or tips is fullsizebronco. That forum is amazing when it comes to any full size bronco

Yeah, I'm a member over there too, but I basically just read over there. I think I've posted 3 times in a year and half over there. I feel like it's kinda a 'club' over there and if you're not in, you're out and get flamed.

Michigan
Yea i just like to read. Maby help where i can.

Paco

Tennessee Chapter member
All this Bronco talk is making me want one even more... 'smiliedoh'

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
All this Bronco talk is making me want one even more... 'smiliedoh'

Well then get one...they're a great vehicle, I've had at least one from every FS generation. Obviously I prefer the 78/9's. But if having a solid front axle isn't a big concern for you, any of the 87-96's are great too. I'm personally not a fan of the quality or looks of the 80-86 generation.

Michigan
I love my 95, It feels like its got more than enough power to get out of any situation reguardless of the TTB. But i also do miss my 79.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... Brings back to many good memories, and reminds me how much of an idiot i am.. But here u go.... :(

94191007.jpg

Holy batcrap Batman...I need to know the specs. That Bronco looks nasty.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Daggon...looked real good, I wouldn't mind having that in my fleet. How'd the mild 460 like the 650cfm? I woulda guessed at least a 750cfm carb. Did you have a purpose to the cowl hood? or just think it looks cool like I do? Lastly, do you remember if the gearing were stock 3.55's or 4.10's...the 460 probably kept the dog like qualities away even if you did have 3.55's, but if you had 4.10's...it shoulda been a decent effective ratio.

Michigan
The carb was to small for the motor, im sure i never got the full potential out of it, but driving it to school every day at 8 mpg was bad enough at the time. The cowl hood was just for looks, i cut the hood for maby it would extract heat, but never really worried about it. The cowl hood took up alot of seeing room, cop told me he wasnt happy with it, but he let me go. My next one will have a 4 inch cowl instead of a 6.

The 460 really shinned when it was in the mud, a HUGE torque monster. This definatly wasnt a truck for a 16 year old.. I knew that and thought that i needed a more economical vehicle, and didnt have the funds to buy a beater, plus jealous people in the school parking lot messing with it was enough to drive me crazy.. So i had to part with it.

Again i didnt know a distributer cap from a torque converter. Me and my dad spent many hours in the garage restoring it.

If i could ever have the chance to go back in time to change something i would keep it. With having that bronco and my 95 i would be one happy camper.

It was a good first project, i learned a ton, and giving what i know mechanically now, my next one will be 100 times better.. AND I WILL HAVE ANOTHER ONE SOON!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Just figured I'd chime in here and thank UTfball68 for the invite. Hope to find my nich here.

Great to see ya man, glad you decided to come on over this way. In the few days I've been active here, seems to be a really cool relaxed bunch of guys. Hope you enjoy the site.

Michigan
More bronco owners! Glad to have you all!

Guess I should find some pics of my two. Alas, Greystreak is gone. That's a story for another time. It has been chronicled elsewhere but the photos still exist. The FAQ's show a few small photos of both GS and the new project.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah Joe, bring on the pics. I guess maybe I should start a "Show Me the Broncos" thread huh?

Michigan
Good idea ben. Make a thread and ask a Admin or mod to sticky it

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
To whom it may concern:

Is it possible to clean up this thread and make it a sticky?

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Yeah, I'm a member over there too, but I basically just read over there. I think I've posted 3 times in a year and half over there. I feel like it's kinda a 'club' over there and if you're not in, you're out and get flamed.

Yup, I posted for some exhaust help when I swapped the Offy/Holley and Hooker into my '84 and got called a dumba$$ and a retard for not swapping a cam in as well...

That was the last time I ever logged in over there...

BigRed1

Here comes trouble...
Just gotta chime in here in agreement with Paco and UTfan68 - the guys here are definitely laid back and my biggest relief has been that someone will almost always answer my questions, even though I'm a newb. :)

As for regretting the sale of a past Bronco and wanting another - I thought (for just a second) I would offer mine for sale since I am currently out of work. I'm in AL so I'm just a state away from you. But then I thought about the history of my '78. In the past, I bought it from one friend, then sold it to another. I regretted doing that so much that I begged the second friend to sell it back to me. So don't EVER sell a classic vehicle unless you just can no longer keep it sitting around. :)

I also think just the "sentimental" value of a truck is priceless - the memories of the "adventures" you and friends had with the truck, the stucks, etc etc won't ever fade. I stuck mine in the bottom of a creek bed while trying to launch a john boat. Took 5 hours to walk out and find a tow truck. Driver would not go down into the creek to pull us out in his wrecker, so he went home and got his personal monster truck to do the job. However, with a CJ chained to his truck while trying to winch me out just slowly dragged them both into the water. We finally made the decision to crank my truck (risky under water) put it in reverse and help out, which worked. He charged me $65 to pull me out but it was quite an adventure. There were at least 12 other people caught up in the whole thing before it was over!

My '78 took us through the "blizzard of '93" - we had 18 inches of snow here in North AL. Although he was only 22 miles away, it took us 4 hours to get to a friends house that had power. We had to avoid some closed roads and wound up climbing over large tree trunks that had fallen across a major road to the interstate. Beside the road there is an 80 foot drop off for at least a mile and we had to walk the tightrope several times - fortunately, Big Red never slipped a tire.

So - don't sell your treasured rides and/or go buy again what you used to have and start having adventures immediately! I'll never sell mine again. :)

Later.
-rp-

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts