Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

I made myself a SOFT TOP

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
Well I made it fit my 78 Bronco. I found a used soft topper for a F150 with a 6.5 ' bed on craigslist for $50
bronco175.jpg

it was used but was never installed on a truck and eveything was there it was just sitting in this guys basement, for that price it was worth trying, it was made by http://www.Softopper.com they usally go for $500-$600 bucks, it is made out of some very good materials
so I shortened the side rails to fit first
bronco176.jpg

I had to shorten the first hoop so it would allow the frame hoops to lay like they were supposed to be and it lays up against the cab in-closure but I wrapped it in rubber so it won't scuff up the paint, it should be fine
bronco178.jpg

Yes I left the cab in-closure on so it will hold the front of the top, I got lucky and the snap flap that was supposed to go to that first hoop I shortened ended up in the perfect spot to where I could add snaps to the inside of the in-closure and snap it to it, this way I only had to drill to small holes in the body for the two snaps I put by the hand pulls
bronco185.jpg

it lays pretty good
bronco184.jpg

bronco179.jpg

bronco180.jpg

bronco183.jpg

I am pretty happy with it for $50 bucks , later I will make it so I can run it without the in-closure but for now this will work smiliegitrdone

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Hey not too bad! I'm not really into the soft-top thing but to each his own I suppose. It doesn't look too bad! :)

Side note: Looks like you've got those longtubes setup for side-exits, no?

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
Why Yes I do, I did not open them up yet, that is for a later addition, I just put them there while I was building the headers

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Looks good. And considering that a used Bronco ones (when they do come up ) R way more than that $50 you spent .

rsalter66

New York Chapter member
It only took a couple of hours to do it all, I have some modification plans for the hard top so I dont want to put that on, and winter will be here before we know it so this is very cool

Very nice work there... youve got a great talent for that stuff!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts