Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Wondering what you fellas would do?

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
So, wondering what you fellas think....

Finally received my Shiftster in the mail today and am excited to put it on....but my electronic 4WD works. I was just wanting to make things more simple and reliable which the Shiftster does just that. It guarantees to shift my transfer case and I'll know exactly what it's in.

Should I wait till the electronic one fails and keep my Shiftster and a few tools in the rig if I need to change it on the fly? I can't imagine that I'd be anywhere where I'd need the 4WD where I'm just using it locally and not on trails and such.

2012-09-11_11-32-27_442.jpg

2012-09-11_11-32-38_464.jpg

What's on there now waiting for me to take off:

2012-08-31_17-27-29_230.jpg

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Hi Ken imo i would install it especially if the vehicle has higher mileage.if your luck runs like mine did several yrs ago with my 99 f-150 the unit failed under heavy snow and cold conditons and i was not a happy camper needless to say.fixed that in the snow for the truck was stuck without 4wd,2 days later the fuel pump went out right after i filled it up....I got rid of the vehicle after that one..lol..needless to say i am not a fan of electronic 4wd.wish ford would go back to manual lockouts and shifter mounted transfer cases on the f-150, explorer models...but i dont see it happening.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Hi Ken imo i would install it especially if the vehicle has higher mileage.if your luck runs like mine did several yrs ago with my 99 f-150 the unit failed under heavy snow and cold conditons and i was not a happy camper needless to say.fixed that in the snow for the truck was stuck without 4wd,2 days later the fuel pump went out right after i filled it up....I got rid of the vehicle after that one..lol..needless to say i am not a fan of electronic 4wd.wish ford would go back to manual lockouts and shifter mounted transfer cases on the f-150, explorer models...but i dont see it happening.

Thanks....this is kinda where I was leaning....you always hear the saying, "If it aint broke, don't fix it." But in my opinion, it's broke the way she is now.....it's way over engineered and waiting to fail as they always do eventually.

This isn't a high mileage vehicle and it was well taken care of...but like you said, my luck will have it when it does fail, it'll be snowing like crazy and I'll be stuck somewhere working on it in sub zero temperatures! :headbang:

There's something about knowing FOR SURE! You know what I mean....when I had the manual locks installed, I got this feeling all over me that just feels good knowing your hubs are locked and knowing when they're unlocked.

Auto hubs and auto 4wd shifters are good in theory, but in application, they've proven themselves to be useless eventually.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
How do you shift it? I assume that replaces the drive motor on the transfer case. What is in the cab, for controls?

Does your shift motor work? If so, send it to me for a spare when your done with it!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
How do you shift it? I assume that replaces the drive motor on the transfer case. What is in the cab, for controls?

Does your shift motor work? If so, send it to me for a spare when your done with it!

You kneel down like you're praying and reach under and pull the little plunger and turn it. That's it.

It goes on the transfer case in place of the motor.....the thing that's in the cab is a button that you push for 4wd.

Shift motor works....I was thinking of hanging on to it, but now that I think about it.....I will NEVER need it....EVER. I'll always know I'm in 4H or 2H; ALWAYS! :bananarb: :bananarb: :bananarb:

BuzzGun79

1 Motor Mark,and you do have to access the shiftster from under the vehicle.

just wandering if their could be a way to fabricate up something to make it work from inside the vehicle....How many cranks of the nob to engage it Ken? im going to have to research this puppy and see how it operates.

just wandering if their could be a way to fabricate up something to make it work from inside the vehicle....How many cranks of the nob to engage it Ken? im going to have to research this puppy and see how it operates.

I wasn't sure about the motors on them. My BII has a motor for high low and one for 2wd 4wd.

I sure wouldn't want to crawlllll under the BII. I didn't know they had a shifter like that. It would be nice if there was a way to shift from inside.

BuzzGun79

well i just went to their site and read up on it.from their design it is what it is.Like Ken stated you pull the plunger turn the crank to 4 hi the plunger resets,repeat the proceedure for 4 lo and from their back to 2 hi.the plunger makes sure the shiftster is totally engage per position of the transfer case..only downfall it has to be done under the vehicle,but can be done quickly..I do like it myself from what ive read and its a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a motor as i found out. put it on Ken,you will be worry free!
it is available for the bronco with the electronic Borg Warner case only.

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
It sounds like a good idea, BUT, I usually run with the hubs locked, and only shift into 4x4 when the truck starts to slip. With that, I'd have to stop, crawl under, shift, and start off again. Then if I get to a cleared road, I'll have to stop, crawl under, and shift out.

If you keep the truck in 4x4, and run on non slippery surface, you will "lock up" the drive train and break something.(Ask me how I know that!)

I guess I'll just carry a spare motor, and if it fails, change it.Hopefully in the summer, lol

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Are those wire connectors for doing some sort of exposed splice? :suspicious:

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I don't like the electric shift but I'm not sure I like the idea of rolling under the truck to shift. I did that for a week when the motor died and didn't have time or money to replace it . I locked vice grips on it til I got a new motor.

Last edited:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Are those wire connectors for doing some sort of exposed splice? :suspicious:

The connectors are to splice the harness so the dash lights still tell you 4x4 is engaged

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
dustybumpers said:
The connectors are to splice the harness so the dash lights still tell you 4x4 is engaged

No, I'll post the video, the wire connectors are for the speed sensors. The electronics on the inside connect with a harness plug that has about 9 pins - try diagnosing that!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
m78 said:
Ken, do you have to crawl under the truck to shift ? Is there 1 or 2 motors ?

No motors.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
BuzzGun79 said:

Rick is working on Shiftster 2 which allows you to shift inside.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
There are afew guys over on the explorer forum that made a manual shifter that can be shifted from in the cab. Some use flex shafts others used a 90° drill Chuck to get the rods into the cab.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
No, I'll post the video, the wire connectors are for the speed sensors. The electronics on the inside connect with a harness plug that has about 9 pins - try diagnosing that!

That is the cheesiest thing I think I have ever heard...those type of connectors are not designed for vibration and are sure not weatherproof.
The connection should be made with a bare compression connector, then soldered, then a heat shrink with seal applied....or a type of weatherproof connector.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
That is the cheesiest thing I think I have ever heard...those type of connectors are not designed for vibration and are sure not weatherproof.
The connection should be made with a bare compression connector, then soldered, then a heat shrink with seal applied....or a type of weatherproof connector.

What are you talking about Duncan? The wire nuts? In order to disconnect the electric motor, you have to cut the three wires connected to the speed sensor (which you won't need anymore - thus no electric motor), so instead of having 3 wires just dangling, he provides these to cover them in case you want to resplice them and hook up another motor down the road or something, to avoid them getting corrosion and what not.

Ford Truck Articles