Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Which Steering Stabilizer?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
So I have bigger and wider tires on my Bronco and she jumps all over the road now its not slop in the steering I'm pretty sure its she isn't happy with the bigger tires big whoop I just need a Steering Stabilizer right? easy enough.
But I can't seen to find out which one will work on her I keep getting different info from every parts store i've talked to, then I realized I need to talk to people who know what the hell they are talking about and actually own these things.
So which one do I need
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SJA-7140/?rtype=10
Or this one.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Rancho/801/RS97481/10002/-1
Thanks a bunch.smilieFordlogo

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I assume you have checked all other steering components as well as the tires for balance/ply separation?...having said that, either one of those units will work for you Tex.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I assume you have checked all other steering components as well as the tires for balance/ply separation?...having said that, either one of those units will work for you Tex.
Crap!
Yes I've checked everything and its nice and firm the only thing I can think it is is the larger tires.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Well, you could always get a stock Ford one!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I'm a firm believer that steering stabilizers are simply band aids and are only masking the problem, until it comes back with a vengence. That said, if you have your heart set on one, IMO, when it comes to stabilizers, the difference in price is a reflection of the brand name on the box. So either pick a price range you like, or pick a brand you like and go with it.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I will partially agree with you Ben in the sense that people will try to compensate for poor suspension/tire mods by using one, but don't forget that a lot of trucks come with factory installed ones that help greatly on washboard roads etc.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I'm a firm believer that steering stabilizers are simply band aids and are only masking the problem, until it comes back with a vengence. That said, if you have your heart set on one, IMO, when it comes to stabilizers, the difference in price is a reflection of the brand name on the box. So either pick a price range you like, or pick a brand you like and go with it.

Doesn't really answer much. Price isn't a issue the issue is which one will work Jeffs Jegs summit all have them but which one, that's what I'm asking.
AS for the problem it wasn't around before the larger tires were added so i'm guessing it needs a Steering Stabilizer. I could just start blindly replacing things hoping to fix a issue that isn't being caused by any thing other then over sized tires thats what i'm a firm believer in.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I will partially agree with you Ben in the sense that people will try to compensate for poor suspension/tire mods by using one, but don't forget that a lot of trucks come with factory installed ones that help greatly on washboard roads etc.

Fair enough...and I do agree they do help with bump steer. I was more or less talking about folks adding them to fix a problem.

Doesn't really answer much. Price isn't a issue the issue is which one will work Jeffs Jegs summit all have them but which one, that's what I'm asking.
AS for the problem it wasn't around before the larger tires were added so i'm guessing it needs a Steering Stabilizer. I could just start blindly replacing things hoping to fix a issue that isn't being caused by any thing other then over sized tires thats what i'm a firm believer in.

The tires aren't the problem, they're more than likely amplifying the problem...and that's why the issue you're having has now presented itself. The new weight and stress found the weak point in your steering system and it's just a matter of finding it. You said it yourself...you're GUESSING it needs a stabilizer, which is just as bad as blindly replacing parts. And the point was, it doesn't matter which one you go with...just pick one, the $20 one from Auto Zone will do the same thing as the $60 Sky Jacker unit...only difference is the name on the box.

On Edit...I fell prey to the poor steering/death wobble can be fixed with a stabilizer theory before I learned from the guys here. I ended up adding one to the Bronco, when in reality, I had a worn trac-bar bushing, and a shock mount that was backed off a little bit. Visually, you couldn't see the problem, couldn't feel the problem and the problem didn't move when testing for the issues. But after getting my hands dirty and pulling things apart, I found the culprit.

Last edited:

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Here is what I usually go with on my rigs

Believe this is Rough Country
IMG_0475.jpg

Skyjacker
IMG_0745.jpg

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1623.jpg

I've hit washboard roads that were so bad the truck went nearly 35* sideways
from the wheels bouncing. Wished I had swaybars and stabilizers then !
That's called "dancing" and that's from not having enough shock damping. :)

Just adding another set of shocks all around fixed my '75 F150 when it was
brand new. That's all it takes. It came with "heavy duty shocks" and they
actually were better than stock shocks but still not enough by themselves.
They weren't quite the same shock as today's Rancho 5000s or in the old
days Monroe's Super Duty shocks, just to put what the factory considered
"heavy duty shocks" in perspective.

x2 what Ben posted in #6! :)

Yes, I got a Rancho steering stabilizer on my '75 F150.
No, I can't tell a bit of difference with it on or off.

radiusarm.jpg

damper&shock.jpg

Alvin in AZ

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts