Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

79 Bronco spare tire carrier

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey fellas...I was wondering if anyone here knew what the maximum size/weight tire is that the stock external swing out arm can handle? I think JBG said they could handle upwards of 33's. However, I'm wanting to upgrade from a 31" spare...to a full size spare, 35". That being said, I'm a little worried the arm/tailgate/quarter panel may not be able to handle the weight. If that's the case, there are interior tire carriers right? Anyone know where exactly I could get one? I couldn't seem to find one on JBG. Thanks

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Not a great welder...so I dunno if that would be any better...haha. And I don't feel like paying someone to do it, or shelling out $800-1000 for a setup from JBG. Not really concerned with the cargo space, don't have a rear seat in there. And I'm paranoid having anything of any value on the exterior...especially being on a college campus...get stolen, slashed, etc. If a 33" tire is as big as I can go, and the only option I have...I wouldn't mind doing that...but if it's a rear tire that goes, I'd just swap a front to the rear and put the 33 up front.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
what's the weight difference between a 33 & 35? seems like you're flirting with danger.

True...but the same can be said for...what's the difference between a 31 and 33? I'm gonna assume there's probably 5-10lb difference between a 33 and 35 and about 10-15lb difference between a 31 and 33. So about a 15-25lb difference between a 31 and 35. Only reason I said a 33 is because I know that JBG says a 33" will work. If not, I guess I'll just lay the 35 in the cargo area.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Don't mean to hijack, but you drive back and forth over the Applachains every time you go home?

That's quite a drive...

I know when I was leaving NC, my truck loaded up and pulling my camping trailer could barley make it up the stepest grades.

Was down at around 30-35mph for alot of it...
You go over on I40?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah Matt...it is quite a trek, and I make it at least once a month. I hop on 40 right outta Knoxville, take it east for 3.5 hours to Statesville, then hop on Bell Farm Road (ex 153) 5 miles...to highway 70 (20 miles)...to Sherrill's Ford Road (5 miles)...to Jake Alexander (5 miles)...to Julian Road (5 miles)...to faith road (2 miles)...to Old 80 (4 miles)...to Sycamore Street...then once you see all the rigs, you're at my house...haha.

But yeah, that 30 miles of mountains starting at the border is a bear. I can Keep the Bronco up at 60-65mph but that's to the floor. Red handles it no problem and so does Thunder with or without trailer.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Yeah, that is quite a drive. The 2 or 3 really steep climbs (7% grade)

had the old truck really straining, but it was really loaded up too. The 'Milage Maker' 3.07:1 gears didn't help either...

BigRed1

Here comes trouble...
I always hated the necessity of having to lose space and add weight to the Bronco. At first my answer was to simply always roll on new tires. Then when I learned that's a foolish strategy so I thought that the answer was simply adding all the equipment and tools to repair a flat tire. Unfortunately, when there's a green pine limb sticking through the sidewall, all the equipment in the world won't get you home!!

I AM glad that (generally) wisdom comes with age - saves a lot of trouble and lost time! (I did say "generally") :)

Later.
rpoe

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I always hated the necessity of having to lose space and add weight to the Bronco. At first my answer was to simply always roll on new tires. Then when I learned that's a foolish strategy so I thought that the answer was simply adding all the equipment and tools to repair a flat tire. Unfortunately, when there's a green pine limb sticking through the sidewall, all the equipment in the world won't get you home!!

I AM glad that (generally) wisdom comes with age - saves a lot of trouble and lost time! (I did say "generally") :)

Later.
rpoe

Sooooooooo...what did you end up doing? I'd still love to have a full size spare, but it looks like the only alternative I have is throw it in the cargo area. I found another reason why the strategy of having a tire repair kit won't always work either...when you have 3 slices between the tread that gets bigger with each revolution and a belt breaks causing a bulge which won't allow a proper patch.

BigRed1

Here comes trouble...
Be patient, I'm still pondering the answer! :)

I am currently leaning toward saving money toward a very good aftermarket rear bumper spare carrier with hopefully room for carrying jerry cans.

I would love to custom build my own, but my welding skills are quite small. However, that doesn't mean I won't try this route.

Sad to say, the reason I have time to make that decision is that right now Big Red is not safe to drive by any stretch of the imagination. Couple that with NO money (I'm a home inspector struggling in the failed housing market) and you only get the TIME to think about the truck and that's about all. :)

I will promise to let you know when I have the solution on the truck!

Later.
rpoe

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
HAHAHA...ok I was thinking that you had already acquired the so-called wisdom on how to carry the full size, but forgot to mention it. I'm kinda in the same boat you are...minimal welding skills, and a college student. So I have all the time in the world to think about builds, but sadly the current parts budget is dwindling...couple that with this recent rash of bad luck and minimal tools on campus...the repair bills have hampered the budget even further. Believe you me...I would loooooooooove to be able to drop 800-1000 on a JBG custom bumper...but it just isn't that high on the priority list right now, considering all I have to sacrifice right now is a little cargo room.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Do you have reese Hitch on the beast by chance?
If you do you could fab up a carrier even with little to no welding skills. Could be bolted together till you could find some one that can weld.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Actually that's a great idea...yes I have a reese hitch. Could get dad to bring home some scrap tube and figure something out.

BigRed1

Here comes trouble...
See, you've gained wisdom over time! You are absolutely correct that the best idea is to go the cheep way for now.

And Sir Smokey, you're suggestion is an extremely good one - I haven't thought about that route - lots of wisdom there. You must be older than UTF and me! j/k

Later.
rpoe

BigRed1

Here comes trouble...
While he's at it, get your Dad to bring home some scrap tubing for me, too! :)
It's only 5 hours to Knoxville from here.

rp

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
HAHA...well I would, but seeing as home is actually Salisbury, NC, (just go to school at UT) it would be more like a 10 hr drive. But I'm sure they will be some if you wanna make the drive...he's got his own machine shop and is a VP at BE Aerospace where they build the entire interior components for Boeing. So there are always toooooons of spare doodads around the house.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
See, you've gained wisdom over time! You are absolutely correct that the best idea is to go the cheep way for now.

And Sir Smokey, you're suggestion is an extremely good one - I haven't thought about that route - lots of wisdom there. You must be older than UTF and me! j/k

Later.
rpoe

If you are UTF's age then I am as old as both of you two put togather,:nana:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
If you are UTF's age then I am as old as both of you two put togather,:nana:

Hey c'mon now...I just had a birthday and turned 23...I'm catching you...haha.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts