Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

LEB 3G swap

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I did the LEB 3G swap in my Bronco over the weekend. There really isn't a whole lot of complexity with this swap. First thing you need is an alternator, I snagged a half dozen from a JY for $10/ea (you can buy new if you want). I brought them all to a box store to be tested, 2 ended up working, one 95 amp and one 130 amp. The 130 amp was from an 8.25" unit from a 95 Mustang with 3.8. I contacted LEB a few weeks ago, and they sent me this harness with instructions a couple days later:

image196.jpg

image198.jpg

On to the fun stuff...

1) Remove old alternator:
image203.jpg

2) Swap Pulleys:
image204.jpg

3) When swapping pulleys, some 3g's have a spacer behind the serp pulleys. You'll want to reuse this spacer to retain clearance with the v-belt pulley. If the serp pulley has the spacer molded in, like mine did...you can use a washer with a 5/8" ID and no bigger than 1.5" OD behind the v-belt.

Riding on ribs-
image205.jpg

Spacer/washer for clearance-
image206.jpg

4) Plug in LEB harness.
image208.jpg

5) Install your 3g alternator back onto the brackets. You'll need to cut down your alt-to-block spacer (I hadn't done that yet in these pics). Also worth noting, some alternators have a threaded lower mount, some don't...and it's smooth. Mine wasn't threaded, so I got a 3/8"-16x1.5" bolt and nut. LEB supplied a bolt for a threaded lower since I didn't look when I ordered, Kris offered to send me the one I needed, but it was my mistake.
image207.jpg

image209.jpg

6) Mount mega fuse. Since one end was already plugged in to the alt, I went ahead and bolted the opposite end to the starter solenoid and saw where the fuse fell naturally. Then screwed it in to the inner fender with the self tappers LEB provided.
image210.jpg

7) The last piece of the puzzle was splicing in to the voltage regulator. This was probably the toughest part because I crushed two butt connectors, and didn't get a good connection with the connector pictured. Don't worry, I just ran out of time, I soldered/shrinked the next day.
image223.jpg

image224.jpg

Ultimately...this conversion is stupid easy. The only other thing to do besides what's pictured is clean up all the old wires.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ford Truck Articles