Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

400 with straight up timing and stuff

Hardball

77 F100 400 2V C6
Oregon
I had rebuilt my 77 F100's 400 engine with straight up timing, a slight RV cam, and a little compression increase. It has run great except it pings like crazy if accelerated hard. And it requires premium fuel. At 10+/- mpg, I hate to drive it much any more. It's a 2V and has a C6 and 3.31 rear end. The original rear end was 2,79 if I recall. At the engines comfort cruise rpm's the 2.79 was too fast mph for the comfort of driving the vehicle. Before me the CAT and EGR were removed and the vacuum lines replumbed to like 60's engines. I am quite tired of the ping, mileage, and nature of this engine.

I wish I knew how to either replace it with a new modern engine, or go back to a 60's type engine like the 360 in my previous 68 with C6

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
If you have the original open chamber heads then what you are experiencing is pretty normal, esp. if you shaved them to bump the CR.
Your options would be to try retarding the timing which sucks for performance/mileage or switching to the closed chamber heads if you are going to consider changing the engine.
That engine should be capable of 375hp/450 tq and return decent mileage if you can keep your foot out of it.

Ford Truck Articles