Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Exhaust manifold flange stud question

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
The old yellow truck has an exhaust leak at the exhaust pipe flange. If I move the exhaust pipe it seals up nicely so I think the donut is ok.

My concern is that I'll break the studs if I try to tighten up or remove the nut. I'm thinking about getting another nut, a washer and and spring to add to the existing stud to take the slop out of the joint.

If this doesn't work, anyone have any tricks of the trade to get the old studs out without breaking?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
You have to use a oxy acetylene torch, and heat the stud red. Then use either a double nut, or a stud removal tool to get it out.

I would try heating just the nut, and taking it off, then put on a new nut if you can get away with that.

If the stud breaks off, you probably would be best to remove the manifold to extract the stud. Use new hardware putting it bak....

Not sure if you have a donut, or just a tight fit. Newer fords lost the donuts around the vintage of your truck

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
I use penetrating oil in a spray can from Kimble Midwest. That is the best stuff I have ever used. Let it soak on there for 2for 3days and she will back right out or possibly just tighten the nut. You could always try to tighten it or back it out after you have run it and the manifold is hot!

Blue-Truck-Nut97

crank polisher
I like both above suggestions, if you are good with a torch you can also split the nut, but it's a real trick to do without damaging threads.

They make a tool called a nut splitter, if you have the room, sometimes they work as advertised.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
The weather was nice today so I decided to tackle the exhaust leak.

After looking at and fiddling with it a bit, I gave up on my original plan because there was no way I could get the new nuts on with the threads rusted into a single smooth walled stud.

So I decided to see if I could get the existing nuts off. Well, looks like the PB Blaster did its job. I started the truck and let it heat up while I worked the nuts back and forth and I was able to get both old nuts off with a lot of patience. I put a new donut gasket and flange nuts on and no more exhaust leak.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas!

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Great news!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ford Truck Articles