Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

HEI distributor recommendations

Hi guys,

I haven't been around here for a while, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good HEI distributor for my '77 F-150 with a 400. I've been running a Mallory Unilite with a mechanical advance for the last few years and the truck runs great with it, but if I splash in a puddle it stops working, and I have to break out the power inverter and hair dryer I carry with me for this purpose... This is getting old and makes me not want to drive it in the rain, but my only other car has a leaky windshield, no defroster, and a rotted floor. I'd consider going back to stock, but the way my wires are cut up another HEI would be a lot easier. What do some of you run?

Fellro

Staff member
If it is getting inside the cap, could try a bit of silicone at the base of the cap. I actually used to drive with a grocery bag over the distributor in the past to keep water out too. I have heard of mud runners doing both things. The bag worked for me, so the silicone should work as well. Don't need gasketing, just the blue stuff would do the trick.

Well that would definitely be a lot easier than replacing the distributor. I'll have to look into that, thanks for the tips.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Ford Truck Articles