Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Fuel Gauge

Hello fella's.
I'm new to your forum.
I'm 66yr's old and a Ford nut for as long as I can remember.
I am also a retired Ford KTP (Kentucky Truck Plant) retiree.
I designed,built, drove the second quickest Ford EXP in the world for four year's in a row. (1997-2000) Powered by a 351W. No add on's.
Enough of that. I do have a problem though.
I own a 1977 F 100 with a fuel guage that doesn't work. I replaced the sending unit.That didn't help, but if I remove the sending unit from the tank, replace the wiring to it the guage work's properly. To me this make's no sense.
Can anyone help me out here?

Fellro

Staff member
May be a positional connection problem... The wire makes contact when you move away from the tank, but not when in place.

Fellro

Staff member
^^^ True, if it is sinking, it won't read... It isn't uncommon for a leak to form and get the float full if it has the old brass float.

Thank's for the replies fella's.
The sending unit came with a new round plastic float, but I still put it into a bucket of gas just to make sure. The wiring is secure and conductivity is good. I did replace the voltage limiter at the back of the guage cluster. (I found a small hole burnt in the original.

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Does the gauge move at all? On my 77 the sending unit has a one wire feed to the dash and a ground wire. It could be that the ground connection isn't great.

I solved a lot of electrical problems on our truck by adding ground straps from the frame to the body to the engine.

Ford Truck Articles