Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Air bag light

MuddyAxles

MuddyAxles~a van man~
Had an incident a week or two ago where the air bag light would flash, then go out on its own.

Now the light comes on with the key, goes out right after start-up, then comes on steady. Haven't pulled the code yet, but will do so soon.

Until then, any ideas, anyone?

kevin9

New Jersey Chapter member
air bag

after you turn the key count the flashes then let me know,i can lead you in the right direction.the most common problems are seat belt pre tensioners(part of the seatbelt buckle assembly)

MuddyAxles

MuddyAxles~a van man~
Finally got out there to look

Got out there with a few minutes to spare and the flash code is 4 2. I have a code reader and apparently the code I gave you doesn't appear with the ECM codes. But anyhow, that's what it is...4 2.

I will add that several weeks ago, not long before this all started, and I am not sure just when this airbag light thing started because for about two weeks I wasn't driving myself around (and my driver is one who can't be bothered by a continuous C-E-L on), before this all started I was working out in the driveway with the van doors open and radio on. The interior lights go out on their own after a short while, but I went inside for lunch and got side-tracked leaving the radio on. Hours later when I went out to close up the batteries (2-batt. set-up) were apparently dead...wouldn't start the engine.

A very short charge cycle was all it needed to bring the batteries back enough to start the engine. I noticed the radio presets were still ok so I figured the batteries weren't completely dead.

But now I have this problem and today another problem developed, or reappeared, rather. I'll get into that in another thread.

So, should I disconnect the batteries, re-set the computers, and see what happens then?

Last edited:

kevin9

New Jersey Chapter member
airbag

code 42 is for the front impact sensor near the radiator.i can't stress this enough air bag systems can be dangerous and should not be played with if your not sure what you are doing.you can visually check the connector for damage or corrosion but more than likely the sensor is bad.let me know what year it is exactly.it looked about 03 or 02 to me.hope this helps,kevin

MuddyAxles

MuddyAxles~a van man~
Oh, I never put it in the sig.

It's an '06.

Odd, at 5 weeks I hit a deer, well, it hit me and rolled down the side from wheel well to wheel well. Not sure how many parts had to come off, but there was painting done from the hood to the rear corner, pass. side.

Wonder if any of that had anything to do with sensor?

I have read how to "disarm" these, but I really don't want to learn anything the hard way. This van is really becoming a disappointment.

MuddyAxles

MuddyAxles~a van man~
If it looks like kind of like a prescription pill bottle, black, with a pair of wires coming out the bottom...it looks ok and connection appears tight.

Now, can I safely disarm the system and remove it? Are these available at an aftermarket parts store or is this a dealer only part?

Or should I just disconnect the batteies and re-boot the computers first?

Thanks.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
I would try disconnecting the battery's first, it only takes a few minutes. and if it doesn't help, it's still a better place to start then replacing parts, IMO

MuddyAxles

MuddyAxles~a van man~
Follow-up

Had the Quigley in for something in the spring...oh yeah, tire out of balance. Ended up being a bent wheel. Loaned it out twice and that's what I get for being a nice guy...a $300 wheel replacement.

But I had them look at that air bag issue and it was the grille/radiator sensor... 80-some bucks plus labor.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Yeah, the light is on again. If I counted correctly, it is a 9-1 code, if anyone knows what that means.

Wonder how many sensors the vans have.
You sure its not a (19)? 19 is leading to the driver air bag.

MuddyAxles

MuddyAxles~a van man~
The problem is solved

But I will give you some more information before I share what $170.00 taught me.

I got the airbag sensor replaced again. After leaving the shop I turned left, then made a right on my way home. I looked down and the darn airbag warning light was on again, but the shop was closed.

A few days later I noticed the horn wouldn't work. Although I didn't need it, I tried the cruise control and it was not functioning either.

All fuses were intact. A swap of relays proved them to be working.

So, what do you suppose was the problem?

Last edited:

MuddyAxles

MuddyAxles~a van man~
For someone who...

Has not had a steering wheel/column apart since pre-airbag, I didn't know such a thing even existed...

But you're exactly right and even though that is not what they call the part now, that's what the mechanic called it once I described all three "coincidental" problems.

Guess it wasn't all that difficult...for you! :)

Thanks

Airbag light

after you turn the key count the flashes then let me know,i can lead you in the right direction.the most common problems are seat belt pre tensioners(part of the seatbelt buckle assembly)

Thanks , found a disconnected buckle assemby easy fix:)

Ford Truck Articles