Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Clunking noise coming from Transfer Case?

2008 6.4L with 191k

Have what seems to be a clunk coming from my t-case that I notice in 2 situations.

Situation 1: At stop shifting from park or reverse to drive

Situation 2: Driving at speeds of 40+ when gas pedal is released then clunk happens when reengaging the gas pedal. Also experiencing some vibration.

Originally thought I was having a ujoint failing but after having truck on a lift there was minimal play.

After doing some research another possibility I have found was that the slip joint could be the culprit for this noise.

Any information or advice would be much appreciated.

-Declan

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

primetime

sawmill slave
Make sure that the pinion nut on the rear axle hasn`t loosened. Or that that there is a bunch of play in the rear end. A sloppy rear end combined some play in the splines of the slip yoke on the driveshaft all adds up.

My 04 cc/sb F250 has a vibration between 50-60 mph that disappears at 65 mph, and the only thing I`ve found wrong is play in the slip yoke.

Make sure that the pinion nut on the rear axle hasn`t loosened. Or that that there is a bunch of play in the rear end. A sloppy rear end combined some play in the splines of the slip yoke on the driveshaft all adds up.

My 04 cc/sb F250 has a vibration between 50-60 mph that disappears at 65 mph, and the only thing I`ve found wrong is play in the slip yoke.
Thanks for the advice. Have isolated the noise between my driveline and rear diff with the help of the old lady today. Will dig deeper tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ford Truck Articles