Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Oil pump drive

May be a dumb question - but I have a 302/5.0L that I'm putting together for a project vehicle. It's a roller/crate motor, manufactured in 1999 and have changed a bunch of 'stuff' including to an SVT heavy duty oil pump drive. Which end goes into the oil pump - the short or the long?? I've stood here for an hour already this morning scratching my head..............and of course the SVT info is about as sketchy as hens teeth.

blacksnapon

Staff member
May be a dumb question - but I have a 302/5.0L that I'm putting together for a project vehicle. It's a roller/crate motor, manufactured in 1999 and have changed a bunch of 'stuff' including to an SVT heavy duty oil pump drive. Which end goes into the oil pump - the short or the long?? I've stood here for an hour already this morning scratching my head..............and of course the SVT info is about as sketchy as hens teeth.
I believe its the short end. The other end is supported by the block.

I believe its the short end. The other end is supported by the block.

I "guessed" right then - so that's the way I had just installed it "assuming" .....:headbang:

Sure would be nice if Ford and in their infinite wisdom would just give us a picture.

Thanks

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
I know on the older ones, not sure exactly what yours looks like, there is something that looks like a washer pressed on. The washer part goes up, towards the top of the motor. That prevents the rod from being pulled out of the pump if you pull out the dizzy.

I know on the older ones, not sure exactly what yours looks like, there is something that looks like a washer pressed on. The washer part goes up, towards the top of the motor. That prevents the rod from being pulled out of the pump if you pull out the dizzy.

I have the Motorsport/SVT heavy duty - and they, too have that spring washer that usually breaks

Ford Truck Articles