Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

what can i get for an I6

i am getting an I6 htat has a fresh rebuilt, can i get like an aftermarket intake and carb for it? Or is there really not too much in this area? Im new to the ford truck bizz... If it helps the motor is an 84.

Thanks Joe

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
i am getting an I6 htat has a fresh rebuilt, can i get like an aftermarket intake and carb for it? Or is there really not too much in this area? Im new to the ford truck bizz... If it helps the motor is an 84.

Thanks Joe

There are a couple companies that make performance parts for these engines.There are aftermarket intakes out there that will allow you to run a 4 barrel carb on your 300.But,it is pretty costly.

oh well EFF THAT! i guess its just a one barrell for me cause im not planning on having this thing like this too long...

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
actually i have a cam and lifter kit from Comp Cams. Brand NEw in the box still. the lifters are Hydraulic. i was going to put it into my truck back about a year or 2 ago when i rebuilt the motor but i never did..i ended up putting a stock cam in instead. i think i paid about $200 for the cam/lifter kit. if your interested just let me know! i can let you have it for half

http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/CamDetails.aspx?csid=781&sb=2

F66 260H-10

Cam Spec ----- Intake------Exhaust
Adv. Duration:----260---------260
Dur. @ .050:-----212---------212----Lobe Sep: 110.0
Valve Lift:--------.447--------.447

Last edited:
What would i need to do to put that in? i dont have a clue about theese motors... would it run okay with the stock carb...

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
as far as i know it will. maybe just a few adjustments to the carburetor . the motor in my truck is Fuel Injected which is one of the reasons why i opted not to use this cam because i wasnt sure if it would work right on a Speed Density Fuel Injection system which is the setup on my truck. the cam and lifter kit was actually made for a carbed 4.9L

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
From the experience I have with my I6,the little 1 barrel carb doesn't really hold the truck back at all.My truck is dead stock,but it seems to run like a bat outta hell.I used to hate the 300,but now i've got used to it,and actually like them alot.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
From the experience I have with my I6,the little 1 barrel carb doesn't really hold the truck back at all.My truck is dead stock,but it seems to run like a bat outta hell.I used to hate the 300,but now i've got used to it,and actually like them alot.

Plus I6's have a sound all their own!

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
haha yeah i have to agree. i have a cherry bomb on mine and...well they hear me coming from a few miles away lol

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
i used to hate a inline Six but then i bought a truck with one.. i fell inlove.. but sadly i sold it to make way for my HO 5.0

i had it straight piped 1 cat only and it sounded like a mini cummins and a supra together

i have a soundclip if your interested

Last edited:
yeah i thought it was gonna be quiet, i like to think it sounds something like a tractor... i have a 2 1/2 cherrybomb on it... i like it cause i have a reason to blast the radio, its pretty quiet at idle till you start to accelerate then you get heard!

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
yeah i thought it was gonna be quiet, i like to think it sounds something like a tractor... i have a 2 1/2 cherrybomb on it... i like it cause i have a reason to blast the radio, its pretty quiet at idle till you start to accelerate then you get heard!

I heard somewhere that the 300 I6 was originally supposed to be for a tractor.Not sure if that's true though.

It's a crappy vid,but here's how mine sounds.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
not too shabby, i like it!!

Yea It's come a long way.I bought the truck non-running.It had a bad fuel pump,and the oil pan was leaking oil from the drain hole,so after a new fuel pump,oil pan,and after replacing just about everything in the starting system,it runs.It used to look like this....

modelsandemblems292.jpg

I did alot of cleaning.lol.Half the vaccum wires weren't even connected.Once I got everything connected,I did a compression test.I don't remember the exact numbers it pulled,but I know it had good compression.I put this truck through hell,and it still chugs on.lol.

same with mine, they were all very close and all 6 had good numbers. half of my vacuum hoses arent connected either... i am just too lazy to do it but once it warms up it is usually fine. just a pita to get started.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
same with mine, they were all very close and all 6 had good numbers. half of my vacuum hoses arent connected either... i am just too lazy to do it but once it warms up it is usually fine. just a pita to get started.

Yep,I estimate I have around 190,000 miles on my truck.It's still got some life in it.But I still want to rebuild it to be sure.Reconnecting the vaccum lines isn't hard,but when not all the lines are there,it gets pretty hard.lol.I had all but one of them.So I had to plug one of the ports that comes off the intake under the carb.I've never had a problem starting my truck.I do have a problem with the battery losing charge,but if the battery has a full charge,it starts right up.That's why i'm glad I live in Florida.

its always started for me but i think i need a nwe starter, it goes into a dead spot sometimes and wont barely turn kt over and then other times it just fires right up

Ford Truck Articles