Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Compressor size?

BigRed1

Here comes trouble...
Santa brought me this for Christmas - I was a good boy this year! :)
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916762000P

It is a 33 gal, 1.6 hp, 150 PSI maximum. Says it will provide 6.3 SCFM at 40 PSI, 4.9 at 90 PSI.

Does anyone know if it is big enough (tank size, motor size, cfm) to power a paint gun REALLY WELL? Is it underpowered? Plenty for the job? Overkill?

I hope to give Big Red a new coat of paint and just wanted to know what you all thought.

As always, thanks very much in advance for your time and technical know-how!

Russell

Last edited:

blackhat620

You Had to be There
Arizona
The compressor will be small and underpowered to properly run a standard size spray gun. Most guns require 10+ CFM in the 40psi range. You can do it with your compressor, but expect the compressor to fall behind, and you will have to stop and wait for the compressor to catch up. Depending on the paint you are using and spray environment (ie a booth), you may be able to use a reducer to slow the drying time, thus helping with blending the panel if you have to stop in the middle. Another option would be to paint a panel at a time, or you could add additional storage tanks to your compressor to increase the time before you have to stop and let the compressor catch up.

Ford Truck Articles