Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

No more hi-jacking...what mufflers should I get?

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Whole new post, for those that didn't see it else where.

Once I get my new headers on (soon) I'll be getting an entire new exhaust system put on and I'll need some new mufflers and I'm tired of the old generic glasspacks.

Any suggestions on what to go with?

radialarm

Clown of Death!

surewhynot

Rep whores make me sick
Florida
It depends on the sound and loudness you are looking for. Personally, I like magnaflow. They have a deep tone, but they aren't too loud.

Kep4

Jäger
I had Flowmasters on my '94 Bronco 351 and it wasn't too loud, unless I was really on the throttle hard. Didn't have headers though.

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
I have a Flo-pro muffler on mine. Loud as hell on the go fast pedal, easy grumble on idle.

i have said it before, but if i were to buy mufflers i would get hooker aero chambers. they flow great and sound great. you can check out what people are recommending on youtube and try to get a better idea of what you're looking for.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Thanks for the recommendations, minus the no muffler option. My truck gets enough unwanted attention fron guys with badges, not really looking for more smiliepeelout .

I want a deep, throaty sound at idle, and want it to really scream as the tach climbs.

Those Hoooker aero chambers do look pretty sweet, I was doing some u-tubing last night listening to those the Cherry Bomb extremes and some Magnaflows. Tough decision [confused] .

lil_dq

Let 'er eat boys!
Union, MO
Here is the difference between open headers and the new exhaust I have. This exhaust has copper gaskets, headers, high flow cats, flo-pro muffler(Flowmasters generic brand) then out to dual custom Borla tips.

Open headers...

Mufflers...

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Why so quick to oust the no-muffler idea? I run Magnaflow cats and no muffler and I think my truck sounds awesome-- and not loud enough to attract attention from cops (I've never gotten pulled over and I've been driving it like this for over a year):

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=AC0MY7YNGBP8

I'll have to get a clip of me driving it, cuz it sounds a lot different when the engine is under load (a lot better).

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
Thanks for the recommendations, minus the no muffler option. My truck gets enough unwanted attention fron guys with badges, not really looking for more smiliepeelout .

I want a deep, throaty sound at idle, and want it to really scream as the tach climbs.

Those Hoooker aero chambers do look pretty sweet, I was doing some u-tubing last night listening to those the Cherry Bomb extremes and some Magnaflows. Tough decision [confused] .

i got those now.. the hookers.. havent installed them yet.. but i know they sound sweet!

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Depending on what you have for a catalytic converter...
Ryan

That cat ran away llllooonnngggg before I bought the truck. No need for them here in ND. Not even sure if it ever had cats anyway, sure as he77 not putting any on.

So with no cat to even quiet the exhaust down even a little, open exhaust is out of the question.

Last edited:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Whole new post, for those that didn't see it else where.
Once I get my new headers on (soon) I'll be getting an entire new exhaust system put on and I'll need some new mufflers and I'm tired of the old generic glasspacks.
Any suggestions on what to go with?

All mufflers are pretty good some better then others.
I really say go with what you think sounds the best, that's what really matters.
Go hit Youtube and listen to all the different brands of muffles and see what sound you want..
Don't care what any one says about them the only thing that matters is if you love the way it sounds when you push that peddle YelloThumbUp

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Yeah I agree, just wondering what the better options are out there. I'll I've ever run are g-packs, and actuall don't know anyone else around here with anything else. U-tube here I come again!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Dunno if this will help or not...but I was googling trying to remember the name of a muffler that I told you about in another thread, and stumbled across this:

http://racetruck.tripod.com/muffler.html

It basically gives a break down of several popular mufflers and ratings of noise and performance. I still can't remember the name of the muffler I'm searching for, but a member by the name of Bear River on the other site recommends them all the time. It's Aero something, and they're about $120 a piece, but they do sound really good. I'll do a little more digging and see if I can't find them...if not, I QUIT.

Ford Truck Articles