Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4 pin trailer plug in

To change the 4 pin trailer plug on my truck do I have to cut the wires to replace the 4 pin. Or is the 4 pin a unit that unplugs from the main wiring to avoid having to cut them out to replace? I would like to replace it with a factory 4 pin so it doesn't hang down and fits back into the factory slot beside the 7 pin.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Should have both if it had the trailer package from the factory....I'm not following what you are asking.

I do have both on my truck. The current 4 pin is corroded. The cap doesn't stay on and it gets full of grim. I would like to replace the 4 pin that's on my truck now. I'm just wondering if I have to cut the old one out to replace it.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I do have both on my truck. The current 4 pin is corroded. The cap doesn't stay on and it gets full of grim. I would like to replace the 4 pin that's on my truck now. I'm just wondering if I have to cut the old one out to replace it.

Ahh..gotcha..if it is the molded plug then yes if it is beyond fixing.

If you replace it you really should use bare butt splices with the correct crimping tool and solder..then use a heat shrink with sealant over it.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
I just bought a replacement combo plug off amazon that is a factory swap. It plugs in the harness no cutting or splicing. I think it was 26 bucks. Took like 5 minutes to swap it out.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I just bought a replacement combo plug off amazon that is a factory swap. It plugs in the harness no cutting or splicing. I think it was 26 bucks. Took like 5 minutes to swap it out.

Cool..I didn't know that....good deal!

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
randy beat me too it... the newer trucks have P&P harnesses.. so its easy to swap out the bad ones for a new one.. the only time you run into splicing is with aftermarket harnesses.. also makes it nice if you ever want to convert it over to the 5/6 pin harnesses as well. but youll have to add the brake controller and run the line for the electronic brake pin in the plug...

Thanks for the info guys. I checked amazon.ca and there wasn't any. Amazon.com had the part. With our dollar being so low and a two hour round trip to the boarder to pick the part up. I think I'll call the dealership and see what price they have. Plus I can get a discount because I have family that work at the dealership. If not, just to finish off the fishing season I'll go with Duncan"s advise.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
They sell them at Walmart

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Cheap fuel is always a plus!!!

Ford Truck Articles