Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

C6 slipping..

Hi all - Having an issue with my C6 gearbox, hoping to draw on the collective to diagnose.

On a flat or slightly hilly roads in either D,1 or 2 the gearbox works fine.

I have a steep driveway at home, when I drive uphill and don't stop it's all good, as soon as I stop it loses drive and rolls backwards - I roll back to the level part of the driveway and it's good again.

Seems like a fluid transfer issue to me - gearbox has been serviced and oil levels are correct.

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers

J

Fellro

Staff member
If the level is good, then there is another possibility. You will have to remove the pan to check to see if the filter is still attached or if somehow the bolts backed out. Be a good time to just change it while you are there.

Thanks - will drop the pan again and make sure everything is in place, there's no way the torque converter could be low on oil is there? Would also like to check the length of the trans dipstick, been a few other weird things going on so I'd better check it to be on the safe side.

Cheers

J

Fellro

Staff member
The only way the converter would be low is if the pump were bad. It sounds like a fluid level issue. I have seen one time a filter was loose, and it would also behave that way.

Jasperrc

Texas Chapter member
Ditto on the fluid level. Do you have the radiator integrated tranny cooler? Might be worth pulling the lines and flushing that out. If it's getting clogged, could cause flow issues, especially going up hill when you are already having to push fluid uphill to get to the cooler.:)

Ford Truck Articles