Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

np435 issue

hey guys while i was driving around the other day my truck started making this odd noise. i looked all over for any possible external sources, but nothing turned up. the noise is dependent on being in 3rd gear and 4th gear while moving. i can feel it in the stick if a just roll down the street and load up the 3/4 synco.

i have a video so you can hear it your selfs

any idea? miss aligned shift bar housing/forks?

our the shift bar housing really hard to remove? when i put housing in i have to have the trans tilled way back so it would clear the floor board?!?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZDQPvGF-f4&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Have you checked your trans mount & drive line joints?
Sometimes they get worn & sloppy,maybe transferring noises &
vibrations.
Other than that,I don't know too much about the inside of trans.!
Might be something that worked loose inside!...:scratch:

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Have you checked the oil level?

-trans and motor mounts are new, less then 100 miles on them
-driveline is tight, no u joint or slip yoke slop
-oil level is good, brand new valvoline 80w90

well looks like i get to have some fun with the trans when i get around to it. and i will have to make a video for CB

well figured out the noise talking with some people. fairly sure the needle bearing inside the head shaft (input shaft) is badly worn or missing needles. the sound is the gear teeth loading and unloading as the main shaft loads and unloads that bearing.

i just went down the my 4x4 junkyard and got one out of a 79 bronco. easier then rebuilding mine. out of curiosity i do have a np435 service manual, and have rebuilt a few gear boxes and trans-axles. would any buy like to me tare down the old one put a walk though on how to rebuild it.

Ford Truck Articles