Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Gas Smell

HELP PLEASE

I was checking all the fluids and wires today because my truck has been running very rough. I notice a gas smell on my oil dipstick as well as the oil seems to be very runny. Also, when i pull the cap off to fill the oil there is some white foam/gel around it. I believe that is caused by water getting into the oil, but not sure. Can anyone tell me what all could be going on here?

1978 Ford F100
351M C-6

Merry Christmas
William

emtzach

i get paid to do this
how much FOAMy looking fluid was there just a small amount on the cap or was it all over the place like it was all you could see? as far as the gas, sounds like your running very rich when is the last time you checked your carb,choke plate sticking are the floats set to high ect.

just a small amount on the cap and around the whole into the valve cover. not to long ago i got a can of cleaner to clean it but i haven't checked any of the actual components.

emtzach

i get paid to do this
yeah it sounds like its loading up does it accelerate fine if you open it up? if so then id put money on a float adjustment or mixture screw adjustment. if its loosing power check the choke and airfilter

It runs really sh!tty until it warms up. At that point it has plenty of power, but it doesn't idle very well either. It appears to be a motorcraft 2bl 2100 series. Definetly stock.

emtzach

i get paid to do this
ok i dont think there are to many if any adjustments that can be made hopefully a tech will see this and have more info to offer i could walk you through a holley aftermarket but not a stocker goodluck tho

emtzach

i get paid to do this
Lots of short trips without warming the engine up will cause some moisture/foam to build up inside the valve cover also.

good input i hadnt even thought about that..... I would recomend finding a nice used holley 600 there a lot easier to tinker with than a stock carb and should bolt right up. now adays they should be preatty cheap

Fuel pumps when they go bad ,can dump fuel in the oil pan as well.

A 650 is too much carb for that engine.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Lots of short trips without warming the engine up will cause some moisture/foam to build up inside the valve cover also.

Fuel pumps when they go bad ,can dump fuel in the oil pan as well..

Winners. For the time being, I wouldn't worry too much about the condensation. I would immediately replace that fuel pump though. Then if you're still noticing thin oil and 'water'...I'd start think about replacing head gaskets.

A 650 is too much carb for that engine.

Hater...haha. But you're right as usual. Still amazes me how many folks think bigger is better when it comes to carbs.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
i never said bigger is better now .... i just thought the M liked more fuel is all.

I know you didn't...I was talking more in general. I'd bet 80% of guys out there, especially the ones having problems are carbed too big. For the record, on my 400's I have 650's.

Ford Truck Articles