Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

2x4 to 4x4....thinking out loud gathering parts and picture request.

Please excuse me if this has been posted before. But I haven't been able to find a thread with the specific answers to the questions I have. The truck concerned is my 1979 F250 Super Cab 2x4.any input would be great. and no I won't be selling it and buying a 4x4. My grandpa bought it new and I don't want to get rid of it nor do I have room for another truck that does have 4x4.
blazerrust2009Medium.jpg

I've been doing a lot of reading on the whole 4x4 conversion and it looks like a real p.i.t.a. I realize that a 4x4 frame swap is the way to go....But the thing is I don't want leaf springs. I want to build it coil sprung or maybe coil over. I also don't want to lift it sky high. In fact I don't want any lift over stock at all. Why do most of the post say it requires a huge lift? Is it because of the engine crossmember location and interference with the axle? Are the engines offset to the passenger side in the 2wd as well? what do you think if I just copy a E250 4X4 van front end like a Quigley using the stock front frame, spring buckets and a custom and relocated engine crossmember or do you like the idea better if I build a complete custom front frame to work with the coil springs? Or even if I want it coil sprung I should still swap it to 4x4 frame first? Also which axle do you guys like D44 or D60? HP or LP? The truck won't be used offroad hard. I want the 4x4 for traction mainly snow use and towing stuck cars. But I also want a tough rig. I'm short and don't like tall trucks so I would like to keep it low. I currently leaning towards a 44 but think it may cause steering issues as I would like to go crossover. also if anyone has a picture of the front of a bare f250 2wd frame and and the same 4x4. and some shots of a 4x4 engine mounts and crossmember.that would be great. thanks for any advice. I'm just bouncing around ideas now for a conversion next year or so and would like to start gathering parts. I can weld and I have the fabrication skills but not a lot of ford truck experience as I am mainly a gm guy....which are way easier to convert to 4x4 btw....but not as tough and as nice.

lostinfords

New Jersey Chapter member
I have a 79 f150 4wd supercab that has/had a hd44 which was a 5 lug, which I upgraded to the 8 lug form an f250 and put a d60 under the rear, have not had a single issue w/ either diff. What is to prevent you from doing a f150 front 4wd set up w/ the 8 lug outers, then you could have your coil spring front end and the 4wd and doesn't the f150 have the crossover steering??

78/79 f250 4x4 frame...minus engine mounts
35iupgk.jpg

What is to prevent you from doing a f150 front 4wd set up w/ the 8 lug outers, then you could have your coil spring front end and the 4wd and doesn't the f150 have the crossover steering??

I think the frames are different widths. But I suppose it could work. I think the main problem is the engine crossmember needs to be moved/altered. I'm really leaning towards custom rather than retro fitting stock parts.

I was thinking at the very least I would need custom radius frame mounts and radius arms. I'm not sure on coil springs....custom coil mounts or if I can make the stock buckets work. i'm still reasearching it. I'm more tempted to go with coil over shocks. I was thinking that i would make a custom tubular crossmember and mount it forward of the engine. from the pictures I've seen, it looks like the 4x4 crossmember is mounted 6-8 inches forward than the 2wd location. I would make custom engine mounts as well. I'm thinking a custom boxed square tube frame from the firewall forward may be the ticket. I guess I need to research axles more. I'm thinking a may be able to use a low pinion if it is just a ground clearance issue.

lostinfords

I am not absolutely positive, but I do believe that the front frame widths are the same, otherwise there would be different radiator supports and cabs...they interchange, the super cab has a taller frame and the high boys have a different suspension than the 78/79's w/ the cross brace just behind the bumper
2s1n4sy.jpg

I am not absolutely positive, but I do believe that the front frame widths are the same, otherwise there would be different radiator supports and cabs...they interchange, the super cab has a taller frame and the high boys have a different suspension than the 78/79's w/ the cross brace just behind the bumper
2s1n4sy.jpg

good point about the frames. I had just "heard/read" that they were different. is that the transmission mount in the picture? I'm glad you told me that the frames on the supercabs are different. I was going to buy a pos for mock up before cutting my truck....

I'm really leaning towards ripping out the stock 2wd cross member, Boxing the frame and welding in a custom front crossmember ahead of the engine. Or maybe a bolt in front crossmember. I think I can use the stock coil buckets and shock mounts. I think I can package a spring mount/radius arm mount/ shock mount on the axle. I may have found a 78/79 HP Dana 60 for $700 but it may be a low pinion and I don't know the difference. Should I grab it? I also defiantly found a HP 44 8 lug for $200 should I just get that instead?

*edit* I also just found a 79 1 ton 4x4 complete for $300 bucks. runs and drives, no title. should I get that?

Last edited:

lostinfords

high pinion d60 in a 79 f250
24314jm.jpg

low pinion d60 in 77 f250 crew, you can just see how the d/s comes out low from the diff.
sndouf.jpg
some guys say that the low pinion is just as good or bad as the hd44, I have all 3 and they all work great, my hp44 has gotten the most use and has been trouble free, when my crew gets done I will let you know how thw lp d60 is
here is my 79 w/ the hd44..looks like yours only 4wd, this pic is old...now the cab is scheduled for a replacement, drip rails started to rust
jt1j82.jpg

Ford Truck Articles