Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

This one is getting me confused and irritated... engine diagnosis

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
^^^ Is this actually in the FSM?

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Nope. was a TSB. I'll have to look for it if you want me too.......

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I'll take your word for it and I do know where to pull them up, but Roger might find this of interest. I pity all of the car owners that went in for service requiring the intake to be pulled and got a car in return that does the GM boogie (leaker).

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
LOL, yeah, Excuse me sir, you need to buy new heads because your intake gasket is leaking coolant.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
One word comes to mind as I think about intake and head gaskets on this vintage of GM cars equipped with a few particular engines.........DexCool.

Fellro

Staff member
Surprisingly, little to no corrosion in it.

Different intake, torqued it and all, new intake bolts whole nine yards, no change, exact same issue. Two months fighting this same issue, time to swap the friggin motor and deal with that later.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Damn, but at this point I think I'd also drop in a used engine. $176 at the P&S here, but it would be nice to find a fresh wreck that someone was trying to sell complete.

Fellro

Staff member
I have one from a wreck I parted a while ago in a Malibu. Go figure a bunch of crap to change though to make it work. Even the damn temp sender is different...

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Hopefully it's just brackets and the like, no intakes!

Fellro

Staff member
Upper plenum has to come off, had to change out the injector rail and harness...

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
So, what ever happened on this one?

Fellro

Staff member
So I swapped the motor.... now the miss is in cylinder 2 and it is gutless... :headbang: Engine came from a wreck so it was running, but no good way to test everything as the radiator was busted up.

dustybumpers

don't play well w others
Gas...... road flare.......

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Wow, sorry to hear this and especially in light of knowing that you've put up a good fight on this one. Any thoughts on what's next, or is this end of the road for the project?

Fellro

Staff member
I am going to take a break from it for now. Likely I will stick a good known good engine that I can properly check out first. This engine does have low compression in the offending cylinder, but it has high miles so not likely going to try to salvage it. I have another engine, high miles, but runs ok other than de-powered I think due to the security system. Went from all is fine to can't shift out of park overnight, and lacked for power after that as well.

Last edited:

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
Wishing you the best of luck and do post when you're working on it again. Your car project sounds like a couple of electrical projects (from hell) I've got going right now, keep on fighting but just can't seem to win, somehow there's always an unexpected setback but eventually, somehow, there will be a victory!

Ford Truck Articles