Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4.0 head gaskets?

FTF'er

1993 Ranger with a 4.0

The guy who I bought the truck from said the previous owner had a water pump go out, the engine overheated, then had problems.

I start the engine and it runs like it has a dead cylinder, it pressurizes the cooling system, and lot's of white smoke/steam from the tailpipe. The oil looks fine.

I'm hoping it's just a head gasket!

Now the questions...

So, when tearing this thing apart, is there anything that's typically a PITA with a 4.0?

Any 4.0 specific tips?

What size socket do I need for the head bolts?

What parts are needed? Upper gasket kit and head bolts?

FTF'er
I think I need to buy one though... it may be a torx head on it.

smokey

Hitech hillbilly
Staff member
Chances are the heads are cracked if it was over heated. The entire 4.0 is a PITA to work on. You have to tear about everything off the engine to work on anything. The simple task of changing valve cover gaskets is a 3-4 hour job.

RangerPilot

Boom Shaka Laka
Dallas, TX
It's literally easier to unhook everything, pull the engine, pull the heads and replace the gaskets, and re-install everything than it is to do it in the truck. As smokey said...it's a real PITA, and it only gets worse with the newer ones (the SOHC being an excellent example).

But he makes a point, it takes nothing to crack a head on the 4.0L...just something to be prepped for.

FTF'er
OoOo that supercharged 3.8 is sounding nicer and nicer aint it?

The accessories of the 3.8 look like they may be a PITA to work with, especially around the power steering box area since there is very little clearance there.

I started my 460 the other day and it sounded strong... so I'm kinda thinking along the lines of a 460/C6/NP205 combo with a D44 SAS narrowed 6" for the front, and an Explorer 8.8" for the rear with the axles and rotors drilled for the 5x5.5 lug pattern to match the front. What fun it would be... :D

i think the head gaskits on my 2000 explorer need to be replace but it never got hot or over heated. so does that mean my heads are cracked anyway?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts