Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

302 Cam

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Looking for a good cam for my truck.......so far on my truck I've got GT40 heads ported exhaust side 1.7 rr's and gasket matched intake.......with some open exhaust and modified intake....any ideas?I'd liek to keep the rr's and use the nastiest cam I can...lookin for a bit of a lopey idle but nothing way too radical...oh yea...I've got mass air too.also, what else would I need to upgrade before i did a MAF sensor?I'm assuming if I swapped that out that it would complement my 56MM Twin Blade TB????Thanks.

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
Only one way to find out.. :goldteef:

The only thing's I have to add here are..

Are you running stock valvesprings? Are you planning on swapping them out with the new cam?

As far as I know, you don't need to swap the MAF until you exceed it's parameter's. You may need to watch out for how high of a lift you can go before you run into clearance issues with the pistons. ;)

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
Are you running a roller block? If so I recomend motorsport camshafts used in HO 5.0's. I ran the F cam in my mustang with 1.7 rockers and had to notch the pistons for the valves. Would also require you to run the 351w firing order.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Yes i have the roller block and Mine already has the windsor firing order...Yes I'm aware of the P-V clearance issues.Reason i asked about the cam.

All the alphabet cams have 280 duration or better.. not a good thing for a 302 in a heavy truck. All the guys that have put 5.0HO cams in these trucks with better flowing heads complain about loosing power below 3000rpm, and that cam only has 266 degrees duration. Valve spring bind will be a problem at some point over 0.500" lift, I have heard 0.550" lift is the limit with stock springs but I haven't measured it. I currently have the Comp Cams 35-349-8 roller cam on the way from Summit for my 5.0, it's going into my truck while I buildup the 5.8. This cam has 0.512" lift with 1.6 rockers, and would have 0.544" lift with 1.7's. If you can wait a couple weeks I'll tell you how it works.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
yea man I can definately wait.......the .544 won't be a problem?How's that tweecer workin out for ya anyways Paul?Orhave you not messed with it anymore since the last time I asked.Oh and Paul, I got banned from the other site for a few more days heh so..if you got any info just post up here.Later

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
IM NOT stealing the thread ... :p

can i use the
35-349-8 Cam in my new 5.0HO motor then conanski?

do i need to change the springs? o something? remember its brand new.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
THIEF THIEF!!!!!!LOL I didn;t know u had a desktop dyno man....I threw his cam on mine and it bumped my numbers up to 300 hp and 390 torque.

That's without including the bump up for the 1.7 rockers....

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
THIEF THIEF!!!!!!LOL I didn;t know u had a desktop dyno man....I threw his cam on mine and it bumped my numbers up to 300 hp and 390 torque.

That's without including the bump up for the 1.7 rockers....

i dont know if i did it right but this is what i came up with..

35-308-8.jpg

why cant i talk to you via msn ?

Last edited:

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I'm notlogged on to msn..your TDC values are off so is your lift the lift should be .512 with factory rockers and I think your valves are the wrong size.....the intake should be a 1.86....you also have sequential fire injection not TPI TPI is what GM uses.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
How the freak do i make a screenshot and post a pic of my specs up?????

hold control printscreen ( <usually on top of the insert botton )

then open paint and paste.. and save and upload and post..

mail me the engine file of the desktop dyno

can i use the 35-349-8 Cam in my new 5.0HO motor then conanski?

do i need to change the springs? o something? remember its brand new.
I say run the motor as it is for now, it's not going to have the grunt the 5.8 of yours has.. you'll notice this right away, and especially if the flareside has crappy gearing. Do you know what gearing is in that truck? If it's anything less than 4.10 you'll want to upgrade.

Paul the specs on that cam you've got ordered say it's not computer controlled compatible.....
Oh but it is.. a lot of the product websites do not identfy the cams correctly. Here are the results I get with a few EFI compatable roller cams, the Comp 35-320-8 looks like the best one I have found so far. The bottom lines are for the stock HO cam. I wouldn't get too hung up on the actual numbers here, while this simulation has as much accurate data as possible, it really only demonstrates the differences the cams make. The GT40 top end is known to be a good HP producer, and there are lots of them making well over 300hp, porting the GT40 lower to match the head ports is worth the time and effort apparenty, tmoss porting has some data on this... http://www.tmossporting.com/tabid/3104/Default.aspx I have tried some other cams as well and in general a bit more HP can be obtained with longer duration but it starts to impact the TQ curve. One final note, for the purposes of these sims, the Chevy TPI induction is the one that most closely resembles the Ford EFI system.

2732475196_a50aa707c7_o.jpg

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Paul how did you do that with the 03 version?I've got the Dyno 2000 Dyno2003 and Drag2003 but the latter two i can't figure out my way around on them.From your specs it shows the stock lift on the cam specs..you're getting that much power out of the stock ho cam?I must have some numbers wrong on mine or sumthing.....

You can display several graphs at once if you right click on a graph and click properties.. I think.. don't have the app here in front of me. There will then be an option to display additional graphs. These other graphs must also be open on the desktop or they won't show up.

The 5.0HO is well documented, in stock form it produces about 260-275hp at the crank given enough intake and exhaust flow. The GT40 top end flows better so it's good for another 25hp or so. All these cams produce peak HP at 5000rpm or below.. and that's a good thing for truck applications. Like I said above, there are lots more cams that will produce bigger HP numbers on this motor, but those numbers will be at 6000rpm and the TQ curve really starts to sag below 3000rpm.

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
so this cam would be just fine for a truck app then?

Comp Cams 35-349-8

Ford Truck Articles