Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

351W build.......

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
ok, so ive had plans for a engine build for my Flareside for a while now. well i was pretty set on these plans.....

MAF Swap
edelbrock 5.8L EFI manifold
Magnum 270 Cam
GT40 heads
longtube headers

well we've been tight on money lately cause stupid chit. so i havent really been able to save up for it. well my craving for a motor build is just sitting there poking me.. and im thinking bout going even milder of a build. like keeping the SD. 5.0 HO cam. ported e7 heads. and long tube headers... this is kinda inexpensive and fairly quick..

well i got a few questions bout this plan..

1. with swapping in the HO cam into a roller 351W block would i or should i swap valve springs and seals and rocker arms? if so is there a better cam choice that is SD that i wont have to change all this?

2. which Long Tube headers should i go with that i wont have to modify to fit? I've heard Flowtechs are pretty good... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BIG-12504FLT/

A HO cam with 1.7 rockers will go into a roller motor with no other mods. And don't get Flowtech headers.. they don't fit very well.

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
My hookers didnt fit well either...
I figured it was wore motor mounts, but when i put new mounts in it didn't fix anything, i trimmed a 1/4"s nub of steel off my frame and all is well...

I did it with a small grinder with the headers off, as not to have excessive heat go into my frame...

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
so im gonna revive this thread...... just to keep it fresh in my mind..

what other cams other than the HO cam would be a better choice with speed density. i want the best cam i can get for SD.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Didn't see this before, but both Doc & I have Pace Setter headers. They were actually the 'Summit' house brand, and the pace setters showed up.

I know nothing about cams and valve timing. carry on.

Ryan

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
lightning guys say the 35-351-8 comp cams is SD friendly

its a good cam for power!

KdPate

After Hours Garage
Are you looking @ the 31- or 35- prefix???

31- prefix = 289/302 non-HO firing order
35- prefix = 302HO/ 351W firing order

This is for Comp Cams......

Stock camshaft really isn't too bad in the 351W. Just needs better cylinder heads to support it i.e. GT40 series or equal. :cool:

lightning guys say the 35-351-8 comp cams is SD friendly

It's beyond what I would consider SD friendly, friend of mine has this in his '89 5.0 Mustang with a GT40 topend and it rumbles pretty good at idle. The 35-349-8 I have is the next step down and is also supposed to be SD compatable but it only manages 16" mercury at idle in my MAF 5.0 and certainly isn't as smooth as stock so it too is pushing the limits, maybe it would better match a 5.8 though. I think to really be SD friendly the cam needs to have less than 210deg intake duration at 0.050" lift and 114 deg LSA.

And then you have to consider the complete package, a cam that works well in a 5.0 won't necessarally be a good choice in a 5.8, and a 5.8 with better heads like the Lightning motor can use more cam than a stock headed 5.8. The Crane 444232 in my 5.8 idled like a stock motor but had tons more power everywhere so a cam with a similar grind is what you should be targeting.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
It's beyond what I would consider SD friendly, friend of mine has this in his '89 5.0 Mustang with a GT40 topend and it rumbles pretty good at idle. The 35-349-8 I have is the next step down and is also supposed to be SD compatable but it only manages 16" mercury at idle in my MAF 5.0 and certainly isn't as smooth as stock so it too is pushing the limits, maybe it would better match a 5.8 though. I think to really be SD friendly the cam needs to have less than 210deg intake duration at 0.050" lift and 114 deg LSA.

And then you have to consider the complete package, a cam that works well in a 5.0 won't necessarally be a good choice in a 5.8, and a 5.8 with better heads like the Lightning motor can use more cam than a stock headed 5.8. The Crane 444232 in my 5.8 idled like a stock motor but had tons more power everywhere so a cam with a similar grind is what you should be targeting.

was your 5.8 speed density?

No it ran on the same MAF setup I have now, but that doesn't change the idle characteristics of the cam.

Ford Truck Articles