Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Specialty Tools Suggestion for 6.0?

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Can anyone suggest what specialty tools ill need for removal and install of the heads on my 04 6.0? getting anxious to pull this thing apart and doing it with the cab on along with the front clip on as well.. Already bought a head removal bracket to use with the engine hoist... kind of hoping itd be the only thing but afraid there might be some im missing too...

jebadiah04

Rooster Snorkler
parachute for when you drive it off a cliff. :)

Honestly I don't know. doesn't seem like there would be too many special tools involved. Ive been down to the heads before with no special tools, but maybe you might wanna get the tools for the injectors?

blacksnapon

Staff member
No specialty tools per se. Head lifting bracket is good tho. Pull the air box off for better access to headbolts. Short socket for head bolts with a long ratchet or breaker bar for final torque on the bolts. Glow plug connector removal tool, nah, just push them out from the inside as you're removing stuff. Injectors need that long t40 socket. The heater hose pipe that bolts to the front of the motor has an o-ring that regularly leaks after its removed. Extra washers for the fuel lines on the front of the heads and where they all bolt to the fuel filter housing.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
No specialty tools per se. Head lifting bracket is good tho. Pull the air box off for better access to headbolts. Short socket for head bolts with a long ratchet or breaker bar for final torque on the bolts. Glow plug connector removal tool, nah, just push them out from the inside as you're removing stuff. Injectors need that long t40 socket. The heater hose pipe that bolts to the front of the motor has an o-ring that regularly leaks after its removed. Extra washers for the fuel lines on the front of the heads and where they all bolt to the fuel filter housing.

did order that on sunday as im not removing the cab or going to pull the whole front clip to do it... seemed to be a highly recomended tool for removing the heads. Someone told me those things weigh close to 80lbs bare not including all the other stuff that would still be connected to it if i pulled it rocker box and all... Ordered a few other tools i had others suggest i might need to make it easier..

one being an injector harness connector release tool (still havent figure out how this one works). Oil line disconnect for the "log style" oil rail. and the injector ball tube alignment socket. dont know if theyre actually needed but others id asked said they were must haves for 6.0 owners to service this thing..

something tells me im going to be visiting harbor freight for that torx socket.. almost everyones suggested it but also stated it wasnt "absolutely necessary"..

blacksnapon

Staff member
Before the injector harness release tool came out, Ford had us using a socket to drive them out. The oil rail release tool is the same size as the collet tool on a die grinder or you can use the hydraulic clutch line release tool. Both are the same size.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Before the injector harness release tool came out, Ford had us using a socket to drive them out. The oil rail release tool is the same size as the collet tool on a die grinder or you can use the hydraulic clutch line release tool. Both are the same size.

unfortunately dont have either one of those... anytime i needed to use die grinder attachments i just used the 3/8 high speed drill that i do have. :( the hydraulic clutch i had before was just a standard steel brake line.. so just used my wrenches for that..

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
have heard 2 different things in relation to the injectors when pulled i cant confirm either on..

Some say the seat cups only need "pulled and replaced' when theyre bad. (but none can tell me how to tell if they are.)

others have said they need to be replaced every time the injectors are pulled.

Can you tell me which is true Vince??
also heard you need a special tool to do those thats similar to the 5.4 broken spark plug tool

blacksnapon

Staff member
Pull the cups only if they're bad. You'll get fuel in your coolant generally if they're bad. The removal tool is like a big tap. You screw it into the cup, then pull on the tool (vice grips and pry bars).

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
Pull the cups only if they're bad. You'll get fuel in your coolant generally if they're bad. The removal tool is like a big tap. You screw it into the cup, then pull on the tool (vice grips and pry bars).

could bad cups also lead to fuel saturation in the oil too?? the UOA showed moderate-high fuel dilution in the oil when i had it checked during the last oil change.

blacksnapon

Staff member
could bad cups also lead to fuel saturation in the oil too?? the UOA showed moderate-high fuel dilution in the oil when i had it checked during the last oil change.
That's doubtful. It'd be more like injectors slobbering. The cups go through the coolant passages. The oil and fuel is higher in the injector.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
darn... was hoping i could have nipped that one in the but with just the cup change.. assuming the buzz test or contribution test is the one way to tell if theyre slobbering.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Drain the oil, put dye in the secondary fuel filter housing, power up the fuel pump. With the drain plug still out of the pan, look for fuel coming out of the drain plug (with dye in it) Looking with a black light helps.

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
*brings it to vince to run that one*

Sparky83

Virginia Chapter member
Norlina NC
ouch... that couldnt have been fun for the owner...

Ford Truck Articles