Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Is my tranny bad or something else

I have a 1992 f350 with the 460 engine and e40d tranny everything has been fine until last Thursday evening truck drove normal on my way to work and on my way home but as the day went on I went to go to the store and had a slow take off and my entire dash was shaking on take off and the next day same thing until I stopped at a red light and when it turned green I could only inch my way into a parking lot motor just reving reverse is fine but d 2 and 1 give me nothing I had my wife start it put it in drive and hit the gas as I watched my drive shaft it looked like it wanted to move but not much at all the truck itself never moved can anyone help me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
When's the last time the trans was serviced?

What's the color/smell of the fluid on the stick?

Fellro

Staff member
Have you checked the level? Sounds like you might have, but just making sure. Try jacking up the rear and see if the axle turns then. I do suspect that you may have a failure though.

First/reverse sprag broke. 1993 and before E4OD were not as good as the 1994 to 1997 trans. That or you front pump went out. Really need to do a Line PSI test.

Only other thing i could think of is the filter fell out of the pump. doesn't happen much. but i have seen it.
Did you make sure that the O-ring came out of the pump when you change the oil?? if not you may have 2 O-rings up there and didnt fully seat the new Filter and that made it fall out.

Look at that first

Ok thank you for the advice my work schedule has been hectic I will look into this as soon as I get the chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Filter probably fell off.

Hello and good morning.

It does sound as if your filter fell off as the other member stated.

I have an AOD and I realize that this is "apples vs. oranges" but I have to put an extra 1/2 quart of ATF for my transmission to work properly.
Otherwise, without this extra ATF the truck will stop in gear and regardless if I accelerate it does not move. Eventually, all returns to normal after adding the additional fluid.

Just food for thought even though the other members are more knowledgeable so I would go with their suggestions.

Boon

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts