Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

4x4 problems

I have 1998 f250 4x4 light duty with a 5.4l 4x4 switch on the dash.
It snowed last night and drive it bout 5 mile in 4x4 hi and it was fine. I parked the truck and left in 4hi next mornin i went to leave and i switched back in 2hi and the light went off put the truck in reverse and nothin put in drive and got nothin so i let the truck role back and it went in to reverse. I drove 2 miles down the road and got to the stop sign and went to take off and had nothin rev up like it was in neutral tried reverse nothin tried to put it 4hi light came on nothin tried to put it 4lo and the light would come on but no clunk that you here when it drops. Cant figure out whats wrong need some help any info??? Truck has 191000 miles an trans was rebuilt at 150000

blacksnapon

Staff member
From here, it's all diagnostics. Is your trans working? Is the shift motor on the transfer case getting power? Is the trans full of fluid? When the 4x4 light is on can you manually turn the driveshaft in front?

When i turn the switch to 4hi it locks but still nothing but wont go into 4 low trans fluid is full and clean doesnt smell burnt or anything

Ford Truck Articles